Chapter 18

Clearing his throat to break the awkward silence that has risen from our table, Damian introduces me to Alexander, "Janette, this is Alexander Holt of Haven and Holts Enterprises. Alexander, this is Janette Summers, she's my s-"

"I'm his friend," I cut Damian off before he can say the S-word. "I'm a friend of Damian's."

Damian gives me a fleeting questioning look before I kick him under the table in a silent warning to keep our sibling information off the table. Drawing letters on my exposed thigh, I make out the question 'What's going on?' and I reply to him with a discreet shake of my head to which he writes the word 'later' on my thigh.

"Ah, Alexander here is also currently engaged to someone as well," Mrs Higgens perks up once again as the silence returns to the table, directing the attention of everyone onto Alexander who doesn't seem to even want to give her the time of the day. "How is she, dear?"

His responding smile sends an eerie chill down my back as he openly looks right at me, replying curtly, "She's well, Mrs Higgens. Thank you for the concern."

To avoid anyone from suspecting anything, I decided on my own that the best thing to do was to avoid any other form of conversation or small talk for the rest of the dinner which worked since I was able to silently eat my rich tomato cream soup topped with tobiko, chives and herb croutons, only having to occasionally nod along to whoever is speaking and drifting through my main course of centre cut filet mignon with a dollop of fresh herb butter and a side of silky truffle mashed potatoes by just completely tuning out everyone on the table.

Rude but necessary...

But my plan to be inconspicuous flies out the window shortly after everyone is just done with their main courses.

I am in desperate need of some warm air.

Don't get me wrong. Sitting in a restaurant with melodies of delightful aromas filling my lungs and the smooth laid back chatter of its diners is relaxing but when you're seated right under the air vents dressed in a dress that has only a thin sort of material wrapped around your shoulders and a slit that runs up your thigh it makes everything good about sitting in a fancy restaurant leave the building.

Also, if you have you have an angry fiance sitting opposite you who has had his smouldering grey eyes on you for most of the dinner. Then even you would want to leave the table. Pronto.

Standing to leave the table, I give Damian a reassuring smile that I'll be back, I make my way out into the open patio that overlooks the glistering black waters of the sea. Taking deep calming breaths, the feeling of being compressed slowly fades away, a dark shadow blocks the light from the overhead lights from the restaurant and I think nothing of it until the shadow places its hand on my bare shoulder.

"Miss, are you okay?" A manly voice asks, looking at me through the reflection on the display case of the closed shop.

Not really in the mood to talk to anyone, I respond coldly forgetting myself for a moment, "I suggest you leave me alone before I sock you so hard you'd need a hospital, stranger."

The man chuckles lightheartedly despite my rudeness which I find weird but interesting as a small smile graces my lips.

"Edward West," he introduces himself, gently turning me around to face him. "And you are?"

I give him a doubtful stare before replying, "I'm nobody that you would be concerned about."

In the light from the overhead lights, I see that he is a blond male with striking sky-blue eyes and a lean figure. He's gorgeous but he's not as handsome as Alexander but he could sure give him a run for his money...wait, did I just compare Alexander to this man? Why would I even do that?