Chapter 1: The Signs

Jackie woke up from her sleep. She looked out the window and saw that it was just another one of those depressing rainy days. She went into the kitchen to get some food and she realized there was not much left. She went in the living room and sat down and started to cry. She said, " Why does my life have to be like this? I don't want to be here anymore. Take my life. I can hardly keep up my job and I am not married and I don't have children. I need help!!" She stormed into the kitchen and took up a knife and was about to slit her wrist when she heard a voice saying,"Stop! Don't do it!!!"
She got scared stiff and she didn't move. She dropped the knife and she looked around. There was nobody there. She walked around her house. She went back to the living room and she sat down and thought.

Is it supposed to be a sign?
Is there a spirit in this house?

Jackie was raised from birth to be an atheist. She stayed true to it. She has seen signs like this before but she never payed attention. They were getting more frequent but she still ignored them.
She went into the fridge and got her last hot pocket box and put it one in the microwave.
She sat down at her dining table and ate it slowly trying to savor every bite that she was able to get out of it. After, she took a shower. She put on her uniform for work. She worked at a local Burger King. The pay was not good and she could hardly afford the bills and food. She was the cashier. She always longed for a better life. A rewarding one. With a husband and maybe a few kids. That's all she wanted.
It was what she longed for inside.