Differences

For the rest of the evening, Haku remained by Chihiro’s side as she rested in her bed. She was sound asleep, and so that left him some silence to ponder over the current matter. Looking at her frail, weak self, it made his dilemma even worse. Refusing to let her go to see Shizuna was going to be rather difficult without her getting angry at him, yet allowing her to enter the Spirit Realm could have dangerous repercussions on her health. She had just undergone treatment and had been instructed to rest for a few days by her doctor. If Chihiro went, Haku would likely go crazy with worry and paranoia.

     Sighing in frustration, Haku glanced at his antique watch. It was almost eleven at night. He turned to see that Chihiro’s mother was currently at the side of the room dozing off. She was dreadfully exhausted; the heavy bags under her eyes attested to that.

     “Mrs. Ogino.” The woman stirred in her sleep at the light tap on her shoulders, eyelids fluttering open.

     “Is Chihiro alright?” she asked drowsily, immediately looking up to eye her daughter who was still asleep, resting on the bed. Chihiro was not moving, other than the slight movement of her chest rising as she breathed in and out.

     Haku nodded. “Yes, she is.”

     “Okay, that’s good.” She heaved a big sigh of relief. Sometimes Haku wondered if it was a good thing that she was this worried about Chihiro. Of course, she was an amazing parent, placing her child as her first priority, but at this rate, it would not do the senior woman’s health much good.

     Haku continued, “It is getting late, Mrs. Ogino. I suggest sending you home and then coming back to watch over Chihiro for the rest of the night in your place. You look extremely tired.”

     “But I want to stay here with her,” Yuko protested. She tried her best to look energetic, but her eyes were slightly red from a lack of sleep. It didn’t help that she yawned immediately after.

     “I can look after her while you take a good rest. It would be better if you look after her in the morning when you’re feeling better, wouldn’t it? I’ll send you home now and then come back to look after her tonight.”

     “Hmm… Okay then. Thank you so much for taking care of Chihiro. I can’t thank you enough for this.”

     “It’s no problem,” he replied with a small smile, “she is my responsibility now too.” He moved to help her up and then proceeded to leave with her, but she stopped him. “It’s okay, Haku. Stay here and take care of her, please. I can go home on my own and I don’t feel comfortable leaving her alone.”

     “But it’s late, and you’re exhausted,” he pointed out, “It would be dangerous for you to make your way home by yourself.”

     “I’ll be fine, Haku. Chihiro needs you more now. No need to worry about me at all.”

     “But—”

     “No more buts, or it will take a longer time for me to go home,” Yoko smiled, and after saying goodbye to the man, closed the door softly behind her.

     So this is where Chihiro got her stubbornness from, Haku mused to himself.

     He walked back to Chihiro’s side and gently touched her cheek with the back of his hand. Her skin was soft on his coarse hand. “Be well soon,” he whispered, before bending down to give her a light kiss on her warm forehead.

     Unexpectedly, the woman stirred in her sleep. Her lips began to move. Though her words wouldn’t be clear to any other human, Haku could pick up what she was saying decently well. “Haku…” she whispered, eyebrows furrowing just in the slightest.