Hand in Hand

Haku walked past the maze to the pavilion where Makoto was having tea alone. He ignored the many questioning gazes of spirits he recognized and once knew, as well as their surprised remarks of what he was doing here after resigning.

     “Ah, Haku. You said you wanted to see me?” The purple-haired man said, putting his cup of tea down on the table and resting his eyes on his ex-subordinate now standing before him.

     Haku clenched his fists. “That night, that man, was he your doing?”

     Makoto didn’t so much as lift an eyebrow. “My, straightforward, are we now? What man are you talking about?”

     “I’d prefer not to play games here, Makoto. It’s a waste of time. The man who attacked Chihiro the other night, he was your doing, wasn’t he?” the dragon snarled.

     Makoto was unfazed, however. If anything, he casually dismissed it. “Interesting. My magic isn’t so easily traced. To think that you’d find out so quickly—”

     “Why did you do it?” Haku demanded.

     The man’s face suddenly darkened as he stood up. They were of the same height, and they glared into each other’s eyes with even anger. “Why do you think I did it? I did for you, Kohaku. You should know better than to have a relationship with a human. She’s not meant for you; the both of you will not have an ending, and you know that full well.”

     “My relationship with Chihiro is none of your business, Makoto, you would do well to remember that. I will not condone anyone hurting her, even if it’s you,” Haku seethed.

     “What are you doing all this for? Shaving your mane, giving up your prime status here in the Shugorei, you’re throwing it all away, you foolish dragon!”

     “I believe I’ve already told you that Chihiro is the only one who matters to me now. She is everything to me and I will do whatever it takes to protect her.”

     Makoto’s pupils dilated. “And what of it after she dies? Will you kill yourself? Destroy your future? What will you do then?”

     Haku barely flinched at that consideration. He’d thought about it one too many times already, and he didn’t need an outsider telling him what to do. “That’s for me to decide, and for you to keep your hands off of. As a dragon yourself, you should know we hate it when others infringe our privacy. I would very much prefer if you’d not waste your energy over this.”

     Makoto held his gaze a while longer before sighing. He sat down and took a big gulp of his tea and took a moment to breathe. After he composed himself again, he said, “I’ve been considering retirement after serving in this place for centuries. In a few decades, I will need a successor, and so far, no one has been able to live up to the standards I require to take over my position.” His eyes turned to Haku. “No one, except for you, Kohaku.”

     Haku remained silent. He knew where Makoto was going with this. “Kohaku, the reason why I’m harder on you than the rest is because my expectations of you are higher. I believe that you’ll make a fine Chief, perhaps one even better than me. And I would be very disappointed if you chose to give up everything now. I worry that you won’t be able to manage yourself after the human girl dies. She won’t live very long, as all humans do. Which is why, I advise you to sever ties with her as soon as possible, before your feelings run too deep and you cannot get out of it.”

     The dragon paused a moment to word his reply carefully. “I understand, but the choice to stay here remains my own, and I choose to stay by Chihiro’s side. What I will do after she dies, I will worry about in the future. But for now, I want to treasure every moment I have with her, because I love her. Maybe that is something you won’t understand, but I love her with all my heart and I have pledged to stay by her side, no matter the consequences. I hope you respect my decision, and that you will not do anything else to hurt her. If not,” Haku sent a warning look in his eyes, “I will never forgive you.”