Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Chihiro walked over to her mother who was lounging on the couch watching her favorite soap opera. “Mom, I’m going out for a walk.”

     Yuko looked at her daughter odd before pausing the show and turning to face her. New creases on her forehead had formed. “Chihiro, I know the doctor said to take walks and get some fresh air more often, but you’ve been going out so many times all of a sudden. Haku’s come over a few times to look for you but you weren’t here.”

     Her daughter only shrugged nonchalantly. “It’s okay. He’ll probably know where to find me. This town isn’t that big.”

     “It’s not nice to keep your boyfriend running around in circles. Shouldn’t you drop him a message?”

     “It’s fine. If he needs anything he can always call me.”

     Yuko sighed. “Are you alright, honey? You’re always going out these days, and I’m alone at home with nothing to do.”

     Chihiro smiled. “Mom, you have your soap operas. You missed a couple of episodes, so you won’t need my company for a while. And I’m fine. Really. Just need to get my butt out of my bed.”

     “Fine, fine, but make sure you come back in time for dinner.”

     “Sure thing. Bye.”

     “Goodbye! Take care, alright?”

     “Got it!”

     “Oh, and Chihiro? I forgot to tell you something.”

     Chihiro spun around to face her mother who now looked a little somber. “Remember to pick up some white lilies for your father. We’re visiting him tomorrow.”

     “Oh… right.” Chihiro felt the atmosphere suddenly tense. Both of them were quiet for a moment, until the woman sighed and piped up, “Mom?”

     “Yes?”

     “I’m just saying what if… but what if I don’t make it?”

     Yuko hesitated for a moment. “W-What do you mean?”

     “What if I don’t survive even after all this treatment? What if I go, like Dad did?” Chihiro asked quietly. Her eyes darted to the ground as she began to play with her fingers awaiting her mother’s answer. When her mother took too long to answer, she regretted asking that question. It had always been a sore spot for both of them.

     But thankfully, after a while, Yuko finally spoke. “I… I don’t know, dear. I probably wouldn’t know what to do… Your father already left, if you left too, then I’d be at a loss, I suppose… The pain would be unbearable, but you leaving doesn’t represent the end of the world; life still goes on, doesn’t it? Sure, I’d take a very long time to get over it, but eventually time will heal.” Then she changed her tone to sound more optimistic. “But anyway, the doctors say you have a good chance of recovery, so don’t get pessimistic now, okay? I believe you’ll recover.”

     Chihiro was silent for a few seconds as she pondered over her mother’s answer. “Yeah, okay. Thanks Mom. I needed to hear that.”

     Yuko smiled lovingly and got off the couch to give her daughter a hug. “I’m sure you’re going to be fine.”

     She returned the hug. “I know. Well then, I won’t distract you from your dramas anymore. Bye Mom, see you later.”

     “Take care of yourself, okay?”