Torn

During dinner, Haku found Chihiro sitting alone at a table in the mess hall. Her eyes were glazed over and her cheeks looked a little puffy as she sat there unmoving, lips slightly parted. What could Shou have done to make her look like this? He was more amazed at the fact that Chihiro had actually listened to Shou and remained at her seat till he came for her. He really should learn a thing or two from that phoenix on how to control this mischievous woman.

     His mind drifted off to what was awaiting them, and he couldn’t help but grin. Excitement was making him act rather unusual. He couldn’t wait to see the look on her face later; that would make all the hard work these three days worth it.

     He approached her, patting her shoulder lightly. “Chihiro, sorry for making you wait,” he said. Chihiro, still appearing to be dazed, took a few seconds to register that he was there before she closed her mouth and nodded. “It’s fine…”

     “Are you feeling fine? You look rather dazed…” he frowned.

     She shook her head. “Yeah, I’m good.”

     “If you say so… Don’t push yourself, alright?”

     She hummed to that, looking down at her fingers. “Haku… I have something to say…”

     He smiled. Anxious to tell him her reply, was she? “I want to show you something first. Would you come with me?” He held out a hand towards her, which she stared at tentatively. Nevertheless, she took it, and he pulled her out of her chair, leading her to the entrance of the shelter. They walked outside, with him taking the lead while she quietly followed behind. “Aren’t you going to ask me where we’re going?” he asked.

     “You look like you wouldn’t tell me even if I asked,” was her simple reply.

     “You’re quite observant today. Well then, would you mind closing your eyes until we reach?”

     She narrowed her eyes at him. “I sort of do. Your ears are twitching more than usual today.”

     “Really?” he said with a smirk. “Just close your eyes. Trust me.”

     A look of hesitation flickered on her face, and she sighed quite heavily before complying and holding onto his hand tightly for support. “No peeking,” he reminded. Slowing down their pace, he continued walking, till the path they were walking on opened up into the familiar, vast meadow that he had taken her before.

     Perfect timing, he thought. The Sun was setting, creating a radiant, orange glow in the far-off horizon. The boundless sky was clear, save for the thin wisps of white and gray clouds floating about. He continued leading her carefully, making sure not to let her trip over protruding rocks or twigs. They soon came to where he had set everything up, with the help of his many partners back at the shelter.

     A large oak tree stood proud and magnificently in the middle of the plain, and on the branches hung several streamers and balloons, as well as sparkling ribbons with pictures tied to them. Haku brought her to a stop in front of the oak tree, and then he finally said, “Open your eyes, Chihiro.”

     He didn’t have to say it twice. The first thing she did was to scan her surroundings. It did not take long for her to realize that he had brought her to the meadow again, and she stared, for a moment, at the orange ball of fire up in the sky with red flames outlining it. “What’s this?” she gasped when she finally rested her eyes on the large oak tree that had been very meticulously and splendidly decorated.

     Chihiro made her way towards the tree while Haku followed behind her, barely able to contain his nervousness and anticipation. Her eyes fell on the colorful helium balloons that were floating in the air, moving with the gentle breeze, as well as the streamers that ran down the length of the long, thick trunk. They were hanging on the tree branches, and twirled as the wind blew, shimmering with every tiny movement.