Chapter 8

Chapter 8.

The scent of fresh roses fills the air I breathe. I stand in the middle of Mr and Mrs Bevilacqua's bedroom, enjoying the feel of their plush carpet between my toes. There's a large mirror that covers the entire right wall and it reflects all that is in the room under a light auburn colour. The room size is quite modest compared to what I have witnessed in this house but the rich taste is evident in every detail. The bright room borrows its unique lighting from fluorescent lights shielded by white panels and large windows on the furthest wall in the room. Peeking from between the curtains are translucent fabrics with unique stitching laced through.

"Mrs Bevilacqua has one theme for her bedroom." Mrs Ainsworth speaks. I turn to face her as the reflected gold detail dances before my vision. "White and gold... it's clean, classy and." She tilts her head. "Expensive."

"I can see that." I smile. My eyes move past her face to the bed behind that sits a little low with a headboard that could put a throne room to shame.

"The curtains." Mrs Ainsworth moves from view. I follow her with my gaze as she stands by the wall that dwarfs her. She reaches out her hand and touches the fine fabric between her fingers. "Are changed weekly... the bedsheets," She points her chin to the bed. "Daily." Mrs Ainsworth doesn't give me time to let go of my surprise, peeling the curtains from their original position.

"These." She says using her body to hold the curtain up as she lifts the sheer curtains. "Collect dust so they must be changed along with the sheets."

She kicks her heels and marches towards the small living room area placed right by the mirror covered wall. She grabs one of the cushions and lifts it for my viewing before she speaks again.

"These must also be changed daily... the rugs on both sides of the bed plus the one at the foot of the bed must be changed along with the curtains, once a week. The headboard must be dusted daily and so should every piece of furniture in this room."

I'm astonished. I take in a mouthful of air as I turn to look around me. It is evident that the room I stand in is always kept in immaculate order so the job of keeping it so scares me beyond belief. White has never been a colour to have on daily given that it stains easily... having to clean a room filled with white sounds impossible.

"Do you have any questions dear?"

I want to ask if this has to be done daily even when the Bevilacquas are not home but I am sure of that answer before it is given to me. Aren't large white cloths used to cover furniture not in use? I wonder but I keep my thoughts to myself, smile and with a false smile say that I have no questions.

"Okay then dear I will show you Alyssa's room."

We exit Mr and Mrs Bevilacqua's room, take a right and walk down making it to Alyssa's room. Mrs Ainsworth uses the key from her right pocket to open the door and when we walk through, we step into another wonder. Mrs Ainsworth flicks the switch and from each flash of the reviving lights, I can see just how exquisite the taste of this family is. This room however is different. The theme is pink gold and white and yet the room we left Emma sleeping in, is a baby pink. I'm muddled.

"Uh... Does Alyssa have two rooms?" I question, carefully walking behind her, taking in every piece in the room.

"No dear why do you ask?" she stops by the round bed halved by pink gold at the bottom and blinding white at the top. It is covered with large pillows that also follow the theme.

"I thought the room Emma's sleeping in is Alyssa's."

"Oh no dear." She laughs. "That room used to be her nursery... it's no room for a teenager."