Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The ache kills and I cannot isolate what hurts the most. The inexplicable thing, however is the pain that comes to my eyelids every time I blink or flinch at my pain.

"How's the pain dear?"

I find Mrs Ainsworth where she was standing yesterday – I presume she loves the dark because it's where she seems to lurk. Today we are earlier than we were yesterday due to my inability to sleep so the shadows of early dawn conceal more of her than they did yesterday.

"F-fine." I wince once the pain hits following my chuckle. Without warning she reaches out her hands and takes my daughter from my side with such gentleness, Emma doesn't turn in her sleep. Mrs Ainsworth's lips curve with surprise possibly due to my lack of objection but how can I object when I'm grateful to breathe now that Emma's body isn't pressing into my ribs?

I'm lighter on my feet as we head towards the lifts but my thoughts are heavy as I watch Emma's peaceful face over Mrs Ainsworth's shoulders. She's going to be four. My critic suddenly appears. Stop worrying all the time and let the lady help you. As I listen, attentive, my thoughts break through questioning Mrs Ainsworth's eagerness to help me. The critic is however quick to dismiss my unreasonable thoughts with Good people do exist Katie, suck it up and let her help.

"Go to the storage and pick up the linens dear." Mrs Ainsworth commands, breaking through the conflict in my mind. She moves forward so that she's standing between the lift doors and watches me for a while before she speaks. "Katie dear... no harm will come to her as lon-"

"No Mrs Ainsworth." I forget and laugh again, bringing pain to my lower abdomen. "It's not that... I think I might get lost."

"Oh dear..." she laughs and if she wasn't holding Emma, I'm sure she would have hit her head with the palm of her hand. It is the type of laugh that she gives. "You have only been working here a day but I feel like you've been with us for years." She smiles and steps back into the lift. "Come on then... let's put this one down and get you better directions."

"If it's okay, I would like to wait here." I say.

Even though my words come out quick and calm, I struggle to mean them and as the lift rises, I wonder if I will be able to fully trust Mrs Ainsworth with Emma. What I just did not only surprises me but it has allowed me to give someone the benefit of the doubt... and I am glad that that someone is Mrs Ainsworth.

I do not have to wait for long. Mrs Ainsworth makes it back in less than 15 minutes, her face a little flushed.

"Alright..." she beams, stepping out of the lift. She lightly touches the back of my arm placing me in step with her as she walks. I cannot seem to recall the steps that we took to get to the storage and now that I am trying to concentrate, the route seems harder. It appears as though more walls grew from the ground and planted themselves firmly so to hide the storage room from prying eyes.

"This is so confusing." I state, keeping the rhythm of our saunter. The pain seems to be accustomed to my movements and comes trivial and less irritating with each step.

"I wish I could tell you that you'll get used to it but." She shrugs, turns to me and smiles. "Melanie too. She still has to be guided during her cleaning in the west wing. She thought it would be easy but there are more rooms there."

"Why did she sound so happy when she." I stop, searching my mind for a word. "Graduated." I finish remembering the word she used when explaining Melanie's position now that I had arrived.