Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Alyssa's eyes are as wide as saucers. My gaze is back to Ashton but only for a brief second because I fear he'll see me... maybe recognise me. I consider turning but Emma's sleeping face lays visible over my shoulder. My eyes hit the floor in attempt to try and get away from his view but Emma's shoulders restrict my chin from connecting to my chest.

Heat begins to radiate off my chest and I fear it'll burn through my clothes and wake Emma.

What I thought to be deafening silences before cannot compare to this moment. The room is quiet save for the sound of my heartbeat and my fears. They pound through my ears torturously and leave a pain rising to my temples. I wish for someone to speak and relieve me of this anguish but no one does.

Make a run for it. My critic is back but this time with support knowing the need for me to exit this position but running past a 6 foot something muscular man who takes up most of the doorway is near impossible without drawing his attention.

"Alyssa?" His voice sends a chill down my spine that cools the heat baking my chest – you'd think he said my name. I do not look up but I see Alyssa's feet move when she turns to face him. "You okay?"

"Yeah..." she laughs nervously. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed a break." He chuckles and it's immediate music to my ears filling me with thoughts that aren't appropriate. "What are YOU doing here... aren't you the host of the party?"

Alyssa laughs and it is alien to my ears... I was starting to think she didn't know how to.

"I was until you arrived... who's going to let me host when you're here?" Ashton's laugh is rich and if it was a person, sophistication would be the word of description. I bet walls come to life and cry at the sound of his tone. My eyes, my stupid eyes are desperate to catch a glimpse of him but I'm glad I stop that foolishness before it comes. "Are you going back downstairs?" she asks him.

"Maybe later... I'm a bit tired... what about-"

Yeah go ahead... speak I'm clearly invisible.

My patience is wearing thin at this point and I would rather report myself to end the torture. I could grab a white cloth and wave it claiming that I come in peace before I deliver the blow.

"I'll get going now... thanks again." I speak a little too loudly and I would clasp my mouth shut if it wasn't for both my hands being unavailable... shit... shit... shit... you idiot dammit. I should have enjoyed the peace... I should have savoured the damn peace and let them converse until they left forgetting about my existence.

With my eyes still locked on the floor, I step aside and walk past Alyssa.

"How rude of us." Chuckles Ashton. Involuntarily I look up, freeze before him and meet his eyes. The shock should swat my eyes from his but those warm eyes detain mine. I cannot look away – just like I couldn't that drunken night that makes this meeting an unpleasant one. His eyes drop the smile just as I feel the emotions in mine... it was one night but why do I feel other sentiments next to fear and dread.

"Sorry... I'm Ashton." He smiles again and when I come to my senses, I notice that the smile doesn't meet his eyes. Does he recognise me...? I can feel the shivers bubbling from within, threatening to give my feelings away but I'm thankful for Emma because having her in my arms keeps me afloat.

When I look away from him, I find his hand stretched out waiting for a greeting.

I should look at his hand in contemplation and consider touching him with great deliberation but I don't. My left hand seems eager and reaches out to meet his right in an awkward handshake. I don't wish to but my hand lingers as my gaze focuses on the connection.