Chapter 14

The struggle was real whilst writing this chapter... 

Chapter 14

It might have been summer, winter, autumn or spring – I wouldn't know since my mind wasn't present after that dreadful incident. I was completely oblivious to thought and feeling so knowing the temperatures of that day, is completely out of the question.

The year my leg shattered still remains a blur – the pain stays a mystery. The numbness however, I remember deep within my bones.

That numbness emerges today as if it was waiting for this moment to hit me again with the force of a thousand bullets.

Seeing his face on the news was torture, catching a glimpse of him when Angela watched E was a fear-provoking nightmare but seeing 'him' there in front of me was numbing. Just numbing... For those seconds I stood there gaping at him, my emotions didn't come. Now, I cannot seem to track them since they don't settle long enough for me to identify them.

When I come to my senses, I see nothing and I hear nothing. I would think I was dead if it wasn't for the emotions pulsing through me with a numbing charge of electricity.

Ashton...

My trembling hands reach for my phone that I always keep in my skirt pocket. The phone is besides my ear as soon as my trembling thumb touches Angela's name.

"What's up girly... called to brag about rubbing shoulders with royalty?" Angela's bored tone comes. I do not reply – "Hey, you okay."

"No." I'm in shock and my voice is weak showering my surrounds with a chill that runs through my legs that are folded underneath me.

"Where are you?" She sounds, worried.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"Ashton's here." The silence looms around me and bites the space besides my ear leaving behind the irritation of a fly buzzing too close. She must be in shock but hers cannot possibly match mine. Fear has taken a hold of me and I still have no idea where I crawled to to hide.

"What do you mean Ashton is there." As she mentions his name my heart pounds at my chest threatening to rip through and fall onto my lap.

"I don't know how this happened... I mean how is this possible...? I was just there... Michael he was ... Michael was there... I think I went to Melanie because her shoes... but then I thought I saw him" My hand releases the fist of material and rises to run through my hair. The wetness of it makes it easy for my fingers to slide through. "I went back to the kitchen..."

"Katie... calm down."

"How can he be here...? I mean he is not just the guest..."

"What do you mean?"

"He lives here."

I am sure of it. Right now even as I pray that it is a mere coincidence that he's at this party by invite, I know that I cannot be so lucky. The way people flocked to him offering hugs in greeting made it obvious that my employer was in fact the father of my child.

"What am I going to do?"

"Has he seen Emma?" she questions after a wave of silence pushing me onto my knees. Emma. I struggle but manage to stand on wobbly legs and push my hands forward in an effort to feel my way out of whatever this place is. It seems, however that the further I go, the deeper I get into the room. It makes me curse at my brain's ability to shut down and miss vital pieces of information. If only I had paid attention, I would be out of here in no time at all. Just as the frustration builds with the silence from Angela's end, I bump into a wall, hard but I feel nothing – the sound it leaves hanging in the air tells me that I should.