Chapter One - First Day

If you would have told me a year ago I would get a Pulitzer I would have laughed until I cried

If you would have told me a year ago I would get a Pulitzer I would have laughed until I cried. If you told me six months ago I would get a call New York offering me a job at the Daily Bugle I would probably have had you committed.  But here I am, holding my cat in his carrier and staring up at the impossibly high apartment building.  My apartment building.

I had thought living in Sacramento, California for all my life would have prepared me to see skyscrapers. Turns out I didn't really know the full meaning of "skyscraper" until I was looking at buildings that seemed to literally scrape the sky. Sacramento was a small town in comparison to New York. I wish I could say I wasn't scared and that my confidence was as tall as the buildings, but I was about to piss my pants in fear.

No, I was just going to piss my pants.

After paying my taxi driver (a lovely man named Dopinder) and removing my luggage from the trunk, I carefully maneuvered myself through the throng of people toward my apartment. I opened the door, juggling my bags and cat and made my way to the elevator.

When I reached the elevator to my bladder's dismay I noticed that there was a hastily scribbled note written in what looked suspiciously like crayon:

"God damn idiot," I grumbled angrily to myself because taking out my frustration at the poor individual who was misspelled "elevator" was certainly healthy

Five sweaty floors later I finally made it to my apartment. After entering, I wasted no time in dropping my luggage on the floor and making a mad dash to the bathroom.

Luckily for me, the previous tenant left toilet paper so I wasn't stuck there after I had done my business.  This was especially good for me considering I hadn't thought to grab some from my bag beforehand.

After leaving the bathroom, I went to my cat's carrier and carefully extracted my angry kitty.

"There, there Pumpkin, it's ok we're home now," I cooed softly into his ear. "I know you're scared, but you'll get used to it soon." I wasn't sure if I was talking to him or myself but these words seemed to soothe both of us. I put down my orange fluffy cat to let him roam his new environment. As he did that, I took that moment to take a look for myself as well.