Chapter Sixteen - John Jameson

Previously:

"Emily Anderson," a gruff, Russian voice said. Finally, my eyes cleared and I saw who was in front of me.

Big surprise, it was the Rhino.

——-

I blinked my eyes a few more times before taking in my surroundings. I was in a dark room, the concrete walls completely. I turned my head to my right and saw a slumped figure in a chair next to me. I leaned forward trying to identify the person.

He looked as if he would be handsome, but dark bruises and swelling disfigured and hid any resemblance of beauty. I squinted and looked closer. His hair was dark and short, almost a buzz cut. The man lifted his head and turned to look at me. His brown eyes were piercing and familiar. They were the eyes of my boss.

I had found John Jameson.

Rhino laughed, noticing I recognized my cell mate.

"You finally found Jameson," he said in a heavy accent. "Congratulations. If only you weren't going to die soon, this would be a momentous occasion." I glared at him, the duct tape over my mouth making it impossible for me to respond. He laughed again. "You want the tape off? Here." Rhino leaned forward and ripped it off in one swift movement. I gasped. Without speaking, I spat at Rhino's armored feet. He yelled and jumped back as if my spit was a bomb. His eyes lit up in fury, and he slapped me across the face.

My cheek stung angrily and I felt blood dripping. His hand had been partly encased in his metal suit which his slap even more painful. I could feel my face swelling. John showed no reaction to my injury. He looked hollow.

"You bitch!" Rhino shouted. "Let's see what a few hours in here will do!" He went to the door and stepped out, slamming it shut behind him. I immediately turned to John.

"John!" I hissed. "Are you okay?!"

He said nothing.

"John! Answer me!"

Silence.

"You son of a bitch, talk to me!" I whisper shouted angrily. His eyes met mine finally.

"What?" He asked emotionless.

"Are you alright? What happened?" I asked softly. He laughed humorlessly.

"How the fuck should I know what happened," he asked quietly. "I've been in here." I rolled my eyes.

"I meant what happened to you, how did Rhino find you?" I asked. "You look pretty beat up." John shrugged.

"I was at a conference in Manhattan, he got me when I left the building. I tried to fight him. For days I tried. But no one is going to save me." He turned to me again. "And now no one will save you either."

"Fuck, John," I muttered. "Everything will be okay, I've got a guy on the outside he will find us." He raised an eyebrow.

"'A guy on the outside' what the hell does that mean?" He demanded. "You got Iron Man on speed dial?" I chuckled slightly.

"Not exactly," I admitted. "But close." He looked away, clearly not believing me.

"Sure thing," he muttered. "Who the hell are you anyway? How do you know me?"