Chapter Eighteen - Epilogue

When the police arrived, John and I were sitting outside the gates waiting for them. Rhino was still knocked out inside the zoo.

It was hard to explain the full story to the officers. They didn't really understand what happened the first two times we told them, so we had to keep repeating ourselves until it clicked for them. They wrote everything down and escorted us to a nearby ambulance.

The ride to the hospital was long and dull. John and I made small talk, but the drivers and EMT's were so focused making sure we weren't dying to talk to us. Which was understandable.

John and began to bond over our shared experience, and by the time we separated in the hospital, we had exchanged phone numbers and promises to keep in touch.

It had barely been thirty minutes since I had been examined by an ER doctor that Peter came rushing through the curtains. He carefully maneuvered around my bed and held me closely.

"Thank god you're okay," he murmured into my hair. I didn't respond. I just wanted to enjoy the moment with him.

"I'm sorry," I breathed, tears welling in my eyes. "I'm so sorry. That was such a stupid idea." He chuckled and leaned back, holding my face gently.

"It was," he readily agreed. "However, John would have been gone by now and I would be dead if not for you. You did good." I smiled through my tears. He returned my smile before his face hardened slightly. "But let's not do this ever again, shall we?" I nodded quickly.

"I'm not a huge fan of being a hero," I admitted. "It's far too stressful." Peter grinned and leaned his forehead against mine.

"It's a good thing you have me then," he said. He brushed a few tendrils away from my face and placed a soft kiss on my nose. I laughed.

"You certainly have a thing for my nose," I said. "You keep kissing it." Peter pulled away from my embrace and looked at me, his face blank and serious.

"Have you seen your nose?" He asked, a hint of a smile. "It's fucking adorable." I laughed again and he allowed a full smile to cross his face.

We spent the next few moments laying together in the hospital bed, enjoying each other's company and the triumph over the Rhino. Soon, the doctor pulled back the curtain and walked in. She examined a clipboard before looking up at us.

"Alright, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson," she began. I flashed a sideways glance to Peter whose face had turned a brilliant shade of red. "Emily's wounds are relatively minor. She has a concussion and bruising around her eye obviously, but nothing that prevents her from going home. Do you have any questions for me?" We shook our heads. "Good, then let me sign these papers and we can get you discharged."

When she left to go sign the forms, I turned to Peter. He pointedly avoided my gaze.

"Pete?" I began.

"Yes?"

"Did you say you were my husband so you could come back here with me?" I questioned. He rubbed the back of his neck.

"I-uh-well it's a distinct possibility that I may have done that," Peter said almost too quickly for me to understand. I shook my head but smiled.

"Lying to people now, huh?" I teased. "That's how it starts. Soon you'll be a villain just like Jameson says." He rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, sure," He said. "That will definitely happen." Peter once again brushed my hair back from my face and kissed my forehead.

"Thank you Pete," I whispered, suddenly serious. "For everything." He smiled sadly.