Chapter Fourteen - I'm Not Going Anywhere

I awoke the next morning to gentle kisses on my face

I awoke the next morning to gentle kisses on my face. I grumbled and tried to push Pumpkin off me.

"Pumpkin, stop," I complained. Pumpkin laughed.

Wait.

My eyes flew open and I saw Peter Parker staring down at me. "Oh," I murmured. He had a huge grin on his face.

"Good morning, hun," He said, kissing my nose. I hummed my greeting, still too sleepy to start a conversation. I couldn't understand how Peter was so awake. He chuckled at me. "Come on, Em, you gotta get up."

"Whyyyy though?" I moaned, closing my eyes again. "Work was blown up yesterday, I think we get the day off."

"Because I'm bored." I opened an eye to see Peter looking at me with the most adorable brown doe eyes I'd ever seen.

"How dare you look at me like that," I muttered. He smiled, widening his eyes even more.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said, having the gall to actually bat his eyelashes.

"You cheeky son of a bitch," I chuckled. "Fine fine, I'll get up." Peter cheered in triumph. "But if you are forcing me to get up we need to do some research." He sobered quickly.

"Emily I don't think it's a good idea for you to be on the Rhino case anymore," Peter said carefully. I opened my mouth to argue but he cut me off before I could. "Wait, just listen!" I frowned but closed my mouth. "He knows who you are now, it's dangerous. I mean you're freaking arm is in a cast, your throat is multicolored now, your head is swollen, this is too much. Can you let me take care of this? Please? This is my job, I'm good at it." I rubbed my face and groaned loudly.

"I don't like the idea of just giving up," I said.

"You aren't giving up, you're just handing off the torch," he said.

He was probably right. At this point, what good would I be? I don't have any special powers, I'm not physically well, he knows who I am and he could hurt the people I love. And now that he knows I mean something to Peter, the Rhino could use me against him. It was best for me to stay out of it. I finally nodded to him.

"Okay," I whispered. Peter sighed and kissed me lightly.

"I'm sorry," he muttered against my lips. "I know you don't want to." I shrugged.

"No you're probably right," I admitted. "I would only get in the way."

"You wouldn't get in the way," he corrected me. "I just want you to be safe." I hugged him tightly.

"I know," I said. "But I want you to be safe too." He laughed joyfully.

"Emily, I'm Spider-Man," Peter said, puffing out his chest slightly. "The Rhino is no match for me." I rolled my eyes, but still smiled.