Chapter Fifteen - The Possibly Worst Idea Ever

"No, no, absolutely not, are you crazy?!"

Peter, who had fully healed overnight, was pacing up and down my living room angrily.

"Peter," I began carefully. "I know this idea makes you nervous-"

"Nervous?!" He interrupted. "No, I'm way beyond nervous Emily! I thought you were smarter! How could you even think about doing something like this?" I ignored his frustrated jab at my intelligence and tried to calm him.

"This is the best plan we've got, Pete. You know it is, even if you don't want to admit it. The Rhino blew up Jameson's office trying to get to me, you can bet your ass that he would find me if I was walking around in plain sight. When he kidnaps me, you follow us, and you save me and John. It's perfect," I said. Peter ran a hand through his hair.

"Emily, he might not bother with kidnapping you, he will probably just kill you right there!" He said logically. "It's not a good idea! We would be better off just waiting for him to come out and I can follow him then!"

That was actually a sound argument. He could kill me immediately. I guess I could always find a reason that he would need me. He's pretty dumb, it wouldn't have to be the craziest thing.

"I could say I know your secret identity and I will only tell him when I know John is okay?" I suggested. "I can pretend that he had been my lover and I wanted to see him again." Peter stared at me with a blank expression for a few seconds.

"What?!" He shouted. "That sounds more like a rejected plot for a soap opera or a stupid fanfiction! Who would fall for that?!"

"The Rhino?"

He faltered.

"I-it doesn't matter," he said quickly. "There is no way in hell I'm letting you put yourself in that kind of danger!"

"Peter, I already put myself in danger!" I tried to reason. "I'm the one who went to his warehouse, remember?" He groaned.

"How could I forget?" He said. "That's the first time I realized just how reckless you are." I laughed slightly.

"Oh and me standing in the middle of the road taking pictures while the Rhino came charging wasn't enough of a sign?" He raised his eyebrows and shrugged as if to say 'good point.'

"Either way," I continued stubbornly. "I'm already on his radar through no ones fault but my own. I may as well do some good. Maybe it will cancel out my stupidity." He rolled his eyes but I saw a hint of a smile. "I need to do this, Pete. I will be fine." He sighed and closed the distance between us, cradling my head between his hands.

"You don't know that Em," he whispered. Up close, it was easier to see his eyes. The terror he was feeling was obvious, making my stomach twinge. I didn't want him to feel this way, but I couldn't think of another idea to find John and stop the Rhino before he hurt other people. I laid my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. It was faster than I had noticed while cuddling him the night before.

"No, I don't," I agreed softly. "But neither of us has a better idea. And the longer we wait, the more likely it is that John will be either dead or sold to the highest bidder. Then Rhino can move on to his next victim. I know that this must seem horrible to you and that it is scary to think that something might happen to me. I get it, I really do.

"I know losing Gwen was one of the worst things that could have happened and I can't even begin to say how sorry I am that you had to endure that kind of pain. But I can't stay trapped in a bubble because of what happened to her."

He shook his head. "I don't want you to be in a bubble," Peter muttered, barely audible. "But there's a difference between me being overprotective and you being downright reckless." I hugged him, my face gently nuzzling his neck. His arms wrapped tightly around my waist.