Lost Tapes △ Lance McClain x Reader

word count: 1226

----

"Day 1 of Lance and [Name]'s lost adventure," Lance chirped into the hologram in front of him, the little disc in his hands projecting said screen. "We're doin' pretty good. The sunset is nice at least, sorta reminds me of home."

You let your legs dangle off the cliff's edge, it was dangerous but gave you an almost perfect view of the descending sun. You turned around, wanting to greet him, but noticed the recording disc in his hands.

"Hey, Lance—where'd you get a log recorder?" You asked, now noticing the disc cupped in his hand. "It was in Blue's emergency rations kit we found earlier," He answered, setting the disc on the ground besides you before taking a seat himself.

"Don't face the camera over here!" You yelled, "My hair looks gross." You brushed a hand through your hair, noticing the knots and tangles. You gave up with a sigh, your hand falling to your side in defeat. "You still look pretty to me," Lance mumbled, as he pressed the top of the dish, the hologram's screen now showing the sunset.

"It's going to be night soon," Lance sighed. "Who knows what'll happen then. We don't know anything about this planet, Blue is unresponsive, and we can't leave. We only have each other."

You stared at your dangling feet. "I know," You whispered softly. "All we can do is wait."

It was supposed to be a recon mission: a way to obtain information about the Galra through Pidge's hacking, but the virus needed to be inserted into a computer connected to the Galra mainframe, there it'd infect the whole system. It was a chance to retrieve Shiro's where abouts, Team Voltron had to take it.

You and Lance were sent out to do the mission, seeing as this was sharpshooter Lance's speciality. You went on to accompany him, while everyone else watched through your helmets feed. Lance would act as your bodyguard, as you uploaded the undetectable virus into the mainframe.

The mission went smoothly, you uploaded the virus into the mainframe and left without a hitch. Well, until the Blue Lion went crazy and refused to respond to you or Lance's commands. Thus, leading to the predicament the two of you were in now.

You both watched the sunset silently, neither party wanting to speak. It was quiet, a peaceful quiet, you cherished this moment of calmness and clarity.

"[Name], I really don't want to die. I want to go home—like home, home. Earth home," Lance choked forlornly, tears threatening to fall from his eyes. "The Garrison probably told my family that I'm dead, I don't want that to become reality."

You nodded in agreement, salty tears silently beginning to fall down your own face as well. "I don't want to die either, Lance." You took a shaky inhale of air, "I want to see my younger sister graduate the Garrison, and I want to see her fly high in the sky. I want to be able to go home and tell her "I did it. I saved the universe", not for Shiro or someone else to tell her I died."

Lance watched the tears that fell down your face in shock, he'd never seen someone like you cry, before finally looking away and gazing at the horizon. The sun had gone down, and in it's place the stars shone brightly.

"I knew that being a Paladin would have it's consequences when Allura explained what Voltron was, that's why I never chose to be one, instead letting you five take one. But now the Blue Lion chose me, and I have to live up to my duties," You continued, your voice soft as if it was a secret you wanted no one to know.

You focused your gaze on the stars. "C'mon, it's gonna be cold soon. We should rest up in Blue," Lance advised, standing up and reaching his hand out for you. You stared at gloved hand for a brief moment, before grabbing onto it and pulling yourself up.

"Yeah, you're right. Let's go," You spoke with a smile. You let go of his hand, instantly missing the warmth of his slender fingers, then the two of you made your shaky travel to the Blue Lion.

✿✿✿     

"Day 2 of Lance and [Name]'s lost adventure," Lance said into the log recording disc. Today the two of you decided it would be better to stay inside of the Blue Lion to search for any more emergency supplies and rations she might have. "Blue is speaking to us, but she's too weak to send out a distress signal."

"I mean, it's a good thing she's speaking to us!" You pitched in as well, some kind of hope in your voice, "But the days are getting cold. It's winter on this planet, I assume." Lance smiled, "I hope it rains soon. I miss the rain." You sighed, "Me too, Lance. Me too."

On the first day of your "adventure", Lance had shown you the storage area that Blue had told him about during one of their many bonding sessions in the past. Inside was a blanket, thirty cans of space goo, a copious supply of water containers, and three of the little disc records Lance held.

You took a sip of water. "I wonder what kind of Paladin Blue had before us, ya know? I mean, who needs this much water, there's more water than food!" Lance mused, popping open a can of space goo for himself.

"What if they were a mermaid?" You threw in, taking a bite of his space goo. "How would they press the petals then?" He pointed out. You paused for a moment, thinking a response, "Telekinesis?"

"Okay, now that's just too far."

"Lance, we're literally in a giant, blue lion that when combined with her four other colorful buddies, they form the Universe's greatest defender. Also, a strange turtle looking alien wants our heads and lions, so he could conquer the Universe. But psychic mermaids are a reach?" You crossed your eyes, giving him a 'are you serious' look.

Lance laughed, "Okay, fine. You got me there." You smiled back, before slight dropping noises came from outside. Your eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Blue, turn on outside vision." The screen that surrounded half the cockpit lit up, revealing light little droplets of rain crying from the sky.

Before you knew it, you heard the exit of the cockpit and fast paced footsteps follow it. "Lance!" You yelled, putting on your helmet before following him. He was fast, was faster than you were, must've been his long legs.

By the time you managed to exit the Lion, Lance was smiling widely with closed eyes as he faced upwards, letting the rain fall upon his sun kissed skin. He held his Blue Helmet in his hands, a look of contentment on his face.

He opened his eyes, "Look, [Name]! Rain, it's rain," He said, voice becoming quieter in an attempt to relish his moment in the rain. You stopped, trying to catch your breath, before you too took off your helmet and let the rain shower onto your hair and face.

You gently held your purple helmet in disbelief, as you stood besides him to stare at the raindrops. A smile of relief formed on your face.

"Yeah, it is rain."