Changing △ Keith x Reader

word count: 1998 

----

"Woo-hoo!" You cried out into the open air, exhilarated beyond comprehension. Keith turned to look at you, smiling at the look of pure enjoyment on your face. You stood proudly on the back of his hoverbike, letting the crisp air of the cold night brush through your hair.

"Hold tight, [Name]." Keith's grip on the handles tighten, "We're gonna speed up." You took it as a warning to sit down so you did, just in case. For awhile, your gaze was trained above you, staring at the beautiful stars in the sky. The silence between you was comforting, the only thing breaking the silence being the rumbling of his hoverbike. Hell, just having your best friend near you was comforting.

"Thanks. . . thanks for taking me out tonight, Keith," You spoke, a feeling of weightlessness in your voice, "I really enjoyed tonight." He smiled, "I did too. You better get back to the Galaxy Garrison soon."

You checked the watch on your wrist, "12 AM?!"

✿✿✿

Instead of staring at the stars you had always loved, you stared at your own reflection in your mirror. Hair brushed out and cleaned, lips colored, eyes burning with determination. In place of your messy clothes back from Earth was classy, formal Altean armor.

What you wore was the attire of the highest standing Altean diplomat. In all honesty, you felt like you weren't even worthy of wearing it, being a silly human. But in times of war, everyone takes on positions they never would have dreamed of.

A diplomat, that's all you were; not a paladin, not a warrior, not a fighter. Just a simple diplomat under Coran's guidance.

The day you came to the Altean castle was an interesting, fateful day to say the least. There were only five lions, yet there were six humans available to pilot. You weren't a fool, you knew what would be the consequences of putting the weight of the universe on your shoulders, so you stood on the sidelines. The agony, the depression, the worthlessness, all disguised by the pride of being a hero.

Was it your fate to be split with your best friend?

You allowed Shiro, Keith, Lance, Hunk, and Pidge to become brave Paladins, while you helped Coran and Allura around the castle and became an astonishing diplomat. Honestly, it was quite fun diving into Altean culture and all of it's mysterious, until Lotor became a problem.

Lotor; the man who caused doubt to sprout within Keith. You grimace at the thought of the white haired prince, now he wanted an alliance? Pathetic.

You crumpled the photo of you and Keith in your fist, remembering the good times the two of you shared before—before all of this Voltron garbage. You wished you could smile with him like you once did in the ruined photo in your hand.

When you finally realized that you and Keith were starting to grow apart, it hurt your heart like hell. Where did the time you two spent together go? Did he just throw it all away, just like he did with his very own life?

Keith slowly drifted away, deciding to leave for the Blade of Marmora. No more greetings in the hallways, no more late night talks, no more stargazing, no more helping each other. No more Keith.

It hurt, it really did.

No more heartbreak, that was what you decided as you stared at yourself in the mirror. This would be the start of a new person, a person that lived up to their title of Altea's newest diplomat. You were prepared to face Keith once again, to face Lotor, and to develop an alliance.

After a small team talk, Allura and Coran decided that you and Allura would be representing the entirety of Altea and Voltron's alliances, while Lance would stand for the Paladins of Voltron.