Chapter Twelve

The rest of the day consisted of me fading in and out of consciousness. By the time Genesis, Angeal and I were sent back to the house the next day, by orders of our superiors, I had just started feeling like a normal person again instead of a walking talking zombie.

"So how did it go?" Sephiroth asked immediately as we walked in through the house doors. He was pacing back and forth, as his footprints were almost etched into the carpet he had gone over them so many times.

"Hey." I greeted. "I'm not sure. The only way they can tell is by what happens next."

"What exactly is that?"

"If I have another attack within the next few months, it means the 'cure' didn't work." I replied.

Angeal placed a his hand on my shoulder with a tight grip. I placed my hand over his and the tension lessened, but I could feel him shaking. "Can we not think about this for a little while?" He growled.

I nodded. "I think that that would be best. Swim anyone? I found a waterfall nearby that would be fun to jump off."

Sephiroth and Genesis looked at one another. "You have a strange fascination with the water." They chorused.

"I rarely get this kind of time off. I get all memories that I can while I can." I said softly. "So! I'm going to go and take a plunge, anyone going to join me?"

"I'll take you up on that suggestion." Genesis winked.

I tilted my head in acknowledgement. "Of course. Angeal? You coming?"

My brother sighed. "Someone has to keep an eye on you."

I shot him a glare before looking at the silver haired male. "Sephiroth?" I asked gently.

He gave a single nod.

"I'm going to go get changed." Genesis said as he ran into his room while Angeal strolled into his, leaving Sephiroth and I alone.

He was quiet. Really quiet.

"Ask." I ordered.

"It didn't work, did it?" He questioned.

"Honestly? I don't know."

"But you have your suspicions."

I nodded. "That's why I'm taking whatever time I have left into account. Angeal knows about the disease. Now all that's left is..."

"Genesis."

"Ye-" My voice cracked. I took a deep breath and continued. "Yeah. But that's going to be a whole lot harder." I turned to go to my room. "Sephiroth-"

"I know." He cut me off. "You're welcome."

I gave a soft smile before heading off to get changed.

-

-

As I was standing at the edge of the waterfall, I took off the long shirt and loose pants I was wearing, revealing my bikini underneath.

"You're not seriously going to jump are you?" Genesis asked, cautiously leaning over and glancing down.

"Oh come on! You'll jump fifty feet in the air with no water beneath you with no problem, but you won't jump off this?" I mocked. "Scared of a bit of water?"

I heard Sephiroth chuckle from behind me.

Angeal laughed. "You go first Aimee. We'll follow."

I rolled my eyes. "Bunch of sooks." I took a few steps back before running and leaping off the rock, falling for a good eight to ten seconds. It was like I was nothing for those seconds. Like I was free. Like I had nothing wrong with me. Like I had no troubles whatsoever in my life. That was all before hitting the water with a huge slap resonating around the area and I sunk fifteen feet.