Emotions running high

Uma's POV

Uma's POV

"I need an order of red beans and rice with pickled peppers for table fifteen," Uma said through the small window that separated the kitchen area from the dining room.

It had been a few weeks since Harry came home and as happy as she was to be with him again, Uma knew that the "honeymoon" would have to come to an end, and sure enough, it had after a week and a half of missed classes and Tiana letting her have a few days off. She wasn't the only one returning to her regular schedule either, Harry had to go back to work after his two weeks leave. While Uma knew where he was Monday through Friday it meant that she didn't get to see him as often as she liked. There were days where he got off of work early but she had to study or work a shift after school or she had the day off but he had to work late. Most of the time they spent together now was on weekends, a huge change from seeing each other every day whether they wanted to or not.

On this particular day, Uma had picked up an extra shift during her free period and her work-study period to help Tiana out some and to make back some of the money she had missed out on. Lord knows needed the money if she was going to get her own place after graduation in the spring, living on a campus was not an option next time. The hours nor money could stop her mind going to Harry every chance it got though. It was starting to become a problem and Uma realized that when she started getting her orders out of the window late. "Table twelve." The cook said and it went completely over Uma's head. Dennis (the cook called it out a few more times and she still didn't hear a thing. Her mind was on Harry and nothing else. A tap on her shoulder snapped her back to her senses "Table twelve's order is up." Trevor said in a low tone, making her jump in surprise. Quickly Uma smoothed her apron down and grabbed the order from the window, thanking the cook as she went.

With a smile Uma approached the designated table and handed the table of two their meals "Enjoy your meals and let me know if there's anything else you need." she said in the friendliest voice she could fake. Working at a restaurant in Auradon was completely different than working on the Isle. On the isle, it was customary to be rude, even to the customers, but in Auradon they expected you to be nice. Because of this Uma's first few days at Tiana's place were rough but she caught on quickly and now working here was a breeze. It didn't take her long to learn that the nicer you were to the customers the more they tipped you when they left. Tipping wasn't a thing on the Isle either. Unless, of course, you counted what Harry and the Wharf Rats would steal from customers when they weren't looking. 

Turning away from the table Uma dropped her smile immediately and went back to the counter she had previously been sitting at and took her apron off. Pulling her long hair out of the loose ponytail she had put it in Uma said "I'm taking a break, cover my last two tables." to Trevor who just nodded as she walked into the designated break room. It couldn't have been any more than two minutes that she had walked back there when Trevor came in "You have another table, they're asking for you specifically." he informed her and Uma rolled her eyes "Tell them I'm on break, you take care of them. " she shot back and Trevor just shook his head "They won't see anyone else." He said simply, causing Uma to cross her arms in anger "This is my break time, they don't have any other choice." she told him in a dangerously low voice. Instead of backing down and going to serve the new table he grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the break room "Oh come on." he commanded.

Trevor successfully pulled her back into the dining area and Uma would have protested when he finally released her arm from his grasp but who she saw sitting there with a cheeky smile stopped any possibility of that happening right in it's track. "What are you doing here?" she asked as Harry pulled her to him for a hug "Jay and I were in Auradon City for work and I knew you were working for your work study so I thought we would come eat lunch here." He told her and Uma beamed "You were thinking about me?" She teased as Harry sat down, bring her to sit on his lap facing him "I'm always thinking about you." he replied and Uma smiled even bigger when Jay cut in "Literally always, it drives the rest of us nuts. He was like a lovesick puppy this summer." he said with a laugh, Harry turned to glare at the son of Jafar "I was not." he growled, which only made Jay laugh more. 

"I promise you Uma was just as bad," was how Trevor chose to respond, earning yet another eye roll from Uma 'Of course, If she had chosen me instead of Harry here she would have been just fine. That's okay though, I'm more than happy to have her as my work girlfriend." He said playfully nudging Uma who just shook her head. She knew that he wasn't being serious. Harry, on the other hand, didn't realize this and really didn't appreciate what he considered an attempt to get Uma to change her mind "Well she didn't choose you, now get over it or I'll run my hook right through you." He said angrily, eyes flashing dangerously. Out of the corner of her eye, Uma saw Trevor about to say something but she put her hand up to stop him "Maybe you should go back to work Trevor, it looks like table three needs a drink refill anyway." She said in a tone that let him know that she wasn't in the mood to argue with him. 

For a second he did look as if he was about to argue with her but the look on her face was enough to stop him enough for him to attend to table three while muttering under his breath. Once he was out of earshot Uma turned her attention back to Harry who muttered "I don't like him." angrily, eyes still blazing. Wanting to make sure he realized that there was nothing meant by it Uma said "You know he was just playing right? He wasn't being serious." crossing her arms from where she sat on his lap "No he wasn't." Was Harry's stubborn reply and Uma, sticking to what she knew as the truth, shot back "Yes, he was Harry. We joke all the time but even if he was being serious it's not a big deal." She was getting a little irritated now, how dare he not listen to what she was saying. Trevor was no threat to him at all. 

Her irritation wasn't helped by him saying "It is a big deal!" loud enough for other diners to startle and glare in his direction. Uma was amongst those who glared as she stood up and stepped away, not uncrossing her arms in irritation "It really isn't Harry, I don't get why you're making a bi-" she started to say but was cut off by him shouting "He still likes you, Uma!" Uma looked shocked at the outburst while Harry looked almost worried. Shaking it off and doing her best to reassure him that he had nothing to worry about Uma lightly put her hand to his cheek and said "It doesn't matter if he does or not," she started and his eyes started to harden again "because it's not him I love. I love you Harry, and nothing could ever change that." she said gently and his features softened. He nodded and kissed her, Uma missed the look of disappointment that crossed Trevor's face from where he stood nearby. 

Even if she had seen it she wouldn't have cared, he knew they were together and shouldn't be surprised. Yes, Trevor was her friend but Harry was, and always been, everything she needed him to be. After a while, Uma took both Harry and Jay's orders before she noticed the time and saw that she needed to get back to the school for her next class. As much as she hated to say goodbye she knew she had to get through school but they made a promise to at least video call each other before the end of the day if Harry couldn't come by to see her for a little bit. Letting Tiana knew she was leaving she got into the car the school provided for the work-study program and drove herself back to campus in time for her class.