Chapter three

Chapter three

It was past midnight. The sun was gone, the night had come. Many of the men had gone to sleep in their little blankets and tents. The young man from before crept over with a few other young girls and boys. He unlocked the gate and they all came in, making sure we got up off the ground and out the gate. Banjo looked at me, and I looked up at her. I whinnied softly. “C’mon. We’re free.” I said jumping to my feet. She slowly rose, and when she did we moved off together. I heard the pounding hoof beats again, but this time it was freedom. No murder; no blood filled air. No capture; no torture through life. My father was the last out and he bolted, his powerful backside pushing him forward, his stride getting bigger and bigger. He soon caught up, and Banjo was doing pretty good for an injured horse. “Amazon, move faster, Banjo is fine.” My father called to me. I quickened my pace. After about twenty minutes of running, father decided to let us rest. It began to rain heavily. It buffeted down on us, whipping around our tails, manes and forelocks. “Amazon, we’re moving to higher ground. The ground here is too moist already; more rain will cause it to flood. Follow Celia (The alpha mare) she will lead you to safety. Now everybody, move! And be cautious, others seek shelter from the storm. Also do not move too fast, the mud may cause someone to slip. We don’t want any more accidents. Not this week.” My father said nudging me forward. We were moving quite quickly, and father or mares had to tell all of the excited foals to slow down. I plodded along, and tried not to fall behind although father would never let that happen. A loud crack of thunder filled the atmosphere and a few foals shied. Then, out of nowhere, a huge lightning strike hit a nearby tree, and everyone quickened. No one dared slow down for a fire may start. We all galloped along, hoof beats and panting nostrils filled my ears. What a shame it would be if one of us should slip and break our necks? We had all listened but that last lightning strike had caused us to move, quickly. As the rain bore down on us harder, the ground got more slippery. Many mares had to control their foals. Copper wasn’t beside me, nor was father. The rain was blinding me. I couldn’t see straight. A puddle of mud was directly in front of me, and I couldn’t see it. I ran right through it, and tumbled over, sliding down a hill on my back. I furiously kicked around my legs, in hope to stop or slow down, but to no avail. Alas, I finally found the bottom, with a thump. My back hurt and my legs were stiff. I screamed out. A neigh was carried through the wind, one in which came from my father. I cried out over the wind, rain and thunder. And with every reply, the call got further and further away. I finally let out a small neigh, and looked at the ground. With trembling legs, I lay myself down, right into the mud. The wind froze my body, and I had no hope of climbing back up. I slowly rose, and looked up the muddy, brown hill. I was alone. I was cold. I had lost everything. As determination kicked in, I took large, careful steps up the hill. I neigh at least three times on the way up. I was only a metre away from the top now, and I pranced up. I saw the hoof marks, deep into the mud. I smelt them, and knew in my heart it was my herd. I began to follow them, with long, gracious strides. I swished my small tail around my rump, and continued on. A large beat of wind came through, and a neigh was carried through it. Father! It had to be, I just know it was! I galloped over to in which the call came from. And there, below the small hill, was the herd. I made sure my strongest and happiest whinny echoed. The raised their heads. My father let out a cry of anger, and reared up. I lowered my ears, and heard something behind me. I turned around and there stood a huge bear, with a scar across his right eye. He growled and opened his huge mouth, revealing his flesh tearing, bone breaking teeth. They shone like little white daggers in the moonlight. I took a step back, and ended up tumbling down the hill. Half way down, I forced my body to stop, and got up running down the rest of the way. The herd had scattered, my father was gone and I was again alone. I forgot about the herd and ran. I ran so fast that it felt like I was flying. And I didn’t stop until I was far, far away from the bear. If I was to survive, I would have to move, and never stop. If I stopped I would surely die, alone and cold, on a stormy night; just like my mother had. I began to slow down, and soon enough I was stumbling through the treacherous, thick mud. I tried one last time to call to my father.  It came to no avail, and I was now lying in deep mud. Was this my destiny? A destiny, to die? To die alone, on a cold, stormy night, where my herd had lost me? The rain pelted down on me. It came like sharp daggers of cold water. ***