Chapter Five

Chapter      Five

Bays, Blue roans, Blacks, Buckskins, Chestnuts, Browns, Dapple greys. All the horses you could imagine, sitting in front of me. They were all herded together and trapped. I trotted over to them, and a man came over to me. “Guys! We got a loose one! And it’s a paint!” He yelled. He grabbed my neck and pulled me into his chest. I couldn’t use my strongest defence; my strong back legs. Out of nowhere a buckskin foal came galloping over to me. He kicked the guy and I was set free. A few mares and stallions got out as well, and went galloping off in different directions. “Follow me!” The buckskin called as he looked back and nickered. I followed his every move and he led me into the forest. We stopped near a shimmering creek that ran slowly. It filled the atmosphere with a beautiful trickling noise. One like soft rain on a tin roof. He put his nose down and drank. I did the same and looked at him while doing it. He lifted his head and I watched the water drip over his chin. “Hi, I’m Spirit.” He nickered. (Shut up I didn’t think to realise about Rain and Spirit and I just realised that Amazon is paint. Shut up.) I froze for a moment. “Amazon.” I said quivering my lips. A palomino trotted over to us.
“Father!” I yelled. The horse smiled. “No sweetie. I’m not your father. I am Esperanza.”  She said nuzzling my neck. I looked glumly at the ground. “Oh.” I sighed. “She is my mother. She will know what to do and where to go.” Spirit nickered joyfully. “I lost my Mother to a bear. And I lost my Father.” I uttered as his mother went to drink. “Dear child. How long have you been without milk?” She asked. “A day or two. Maybe three. I can’t remember.” I said softly.
“Water was my only option.” I added. She let out a loud cry. A few other mares came over. They had no stallion, let alone colt. “My Father had to leave.” Uttered Spirit. She called forth a young mare. “This is Annabelle. She has lost her foal in the recent rain. She will be your- let’s just say- mother.” Esperanza said nuzzling me towards Annabelle. “Poor baby. Here, here. Drink.” Annabelle said urging me towards her milk sack. I drank. She was a dapple grey, with a shimmering mane and tail. She was beautiful; but not my mother. I was introduced to the rest of the herd. A few chestnuts, one cream, and a few bays. Of course there was now me (Brown paint), Spirit (Buckskin) and Esperanza (Palomino).