19. Can't

[Walmart, 9:34 p.m]

Louis: (to himself) "Alright.. How can I drink away my problems tonight?"

(Louis is looking through the alcohol section at Walmart)

Louis: "Hmm.." (picks up rum) "I could make myself some Piña coladas.."

(someone taps his shoulder)

Louis: (turns around) "Huh?"

Harry: (holding a loaf of bread) "Hi Lou.."

Louis: "Oh.. hi.." (shrugs, casual) "What are you doing here.."

Harry: "I just needed to grab a few things.." (points) "I see you're buying alcohol.."

Louis: "Yeah.. well what else is there to do on a Sunday night?"

Harry: "I can think of a coup-"

Louis: (interrupts) "You didn't show up today.. I wasn't happy."

Harry: "Oh yeah.. I'm sorry.."

Louis: "I told you from the start that I only photograph professionals.. what you did was incredibly unprofessional." (rolls eyes) "I don't know why I continue to entertain an immature 18 year old boy like yourself.."

Harry: "Can you blame me for not showing up! You made me cry at the restaurant and you don't even seem to care!"

Louis: "You had no reason to cry.. there's nothing to cry about!"

Harry: (eyes glazed over) "To me there is!"

Louis: "I don't even understand why you like me! You deserve someone so much better than me! Why don't you understand that it would never work, Harry.. never."

Harry: "You won't even give me a chance.."

Louis: "A chance for what? There's no such thing as love at first sight or fairytale endings for 2 guys. It just doesn't happen!" (huffs) "Grow up!"

(Louis turns around, silence)

Harry: (sighs) "From the moment I laid eyes on you a week ago.. my mind hasn't been able to stop thinking about you.. Every time I get close to you, my heart beats out of its chest. You drive me crazy, Lou.. I don't understand it either, but I couldn't go another second without telling you how I feel.."

Louis: (turns back around) "But Harry-"

Harry: (interrupts) "If you tell me right now that you don't feel the same.. Everything will go back to the way it was. I will never mention this ever again.. I will just be your model and you will just be my photographer.."

Louis: (chuckles) "I can't believe we're having this conversation at Walmart.."

Harry: "Stop changing the subject.." (pauses) "Do you have any feelings for me or not?"

Louis: (stuttering) "I just.. we can't-"

Harry: (abrupt) "Answer the question, Lou.. I need to know so I can move on."

(long silence)

Louis: (gulps) "...No."

Harry: "No what?"

Louis: "No.." (sighs) "I don't have feelings for you.."

Harry: "Ok then.." (eyes tear up) "Then that's, that.."

(Louis looks down at the floor, silent)

Harry: "Umm.." (wipes tears) "Well.. I will see you tomorrow then to work on my portfolio."

Louis: "Yeah.."

Harry: (starts walking away, teary eyed) "Bye.."

Louis: (eyes glazed over) "Bye.."

(Harry walks out of sight, leaving Louis alone in the aisle)

Louis: (falls to the floor, head in hands; sobbing) "Why.."