6

A kicked rock plunked into a puddle of water as the two strolled down a sidewalk of the small town. The day was cloudy, grey clouds loomed over the buildings again, but it was still bright outside. The old buildings which used to be shops still stood in the area that the two called their dream town. Old bleached-white paint chipped off into flakes. The buildings were old and dark. The curious ginger peered through the windows as they passed by them all. He held one hand in his pocket and another outward beside him. Tom had his hands shoved into his front pocket of the dark blue hoodie. It was wrinkled up at the lower torso, but he could care less. He and Matt agreed on just having a lazy day. Walk around and talk. Maybe go eat later or something.

Matt saw red dirt on the side of the road. It clumped up into a smooth mound and rocks were tucked halfway into the red, clayish soil. His eyes lit up, but he kept walking alongside Tom. He could've sworn he saw the rocks spelling letters.

"Let's go to the coffee place." Tom finally spoke. Matt only groaned, "Not there, I don't want to go on my only off day, when I clearly work there!" He clenched a fist in his pocket. Tom rolled his eyes, "Not there, shortcake. I mean that place by the new bar."

He raised an eyebrow, "Shortcake?" He crossed his arms, "I'm not short, I'm taller than you'll ever be." He stuck out his tongue. Tom only smirked, "Maybe so," he shrugged, "but shortcake tastes good." Matt's face flared up with a rose colored reaction, "T-Tom..!" He covered his face. He wasn't used to flirting or dirty jokes, nor unexpected ones.

Tom only ruffled his hair. He walked in front of him to hid his smile. His temples started hurting for smiling so hard. The other, however, was just about to pass out from sudden blood rush. His face was a deep crimson and it just about made the freckles along his nose disappear.

God, did he have it bad.

They soon reached the coffee place. Matt walked in and sighed at the smell. It smelled of work, yet stronger. Matt put his hand in Tom's as they stepped up in line. He only blushed and squeezed his hand lightly. He couldn't believe what was happening. He was so internally overwhelmed that he never realized the cashier snapping her fingers in his face.

"Um," Matt glanced at him, "we'll just each have a mocha. I want a frappe though, please." He tugged at Tom's had which caused him to stumble a bit. "U-Uh, sorry!" He chuckled nervously. They then both stood until their order came. Matt hummed at the deliciousness. Though he was sick of the smell, he still loved coffee.

The ginger pulled Tom outside, where they stood hidden from others. "Um, hey." He looked up at the dark-eyes of his best friend. "Hey." Tom breathed out in response, smiling a bit. "I..." Matt fumbled, "I didn't want this to seem like a date or anything." He played with the sticker of the paper coffee cup. "I just can't act normal around you anymore. I don't- I don't see you as a friend anymore." He spoke slowly.

Tom's heart sunk.

"I don't see you as a friend anymore."

He gathered his words, trying to speak clearly as they clumped up into his throat and threatened to spew out. "You don't want us to be friends anymore." He felt like his chest was crushing underneath the weight of lies he thought he'd been told all those years. "Y..Yeah." The ginger smiled, but it soon faded. Matt's big, crystal blue eyes widened as Tom dropped his coffee. He didn't realize he'd practically broken the most fragile person he knew just by a misunderstanding of words. He actually meant the exact opposite.

"You hate me, I knew it!" His eyes scrunched up and tears threatened to fall. He was heartbroken. His calm mood crashed and exploded. "I knew I should've distanced myself! I shouldn't have ever went with you today! I should've left this place for college when I could!" He hiccuped, "Dad was ri-right, no one will like me if I'm this way..."

Matt's face softened. "T-Tom, no!" He set his coffee on a nearby table were people would sit. Luckily no one was out there, it was too wet and cold. The ginger put his hand to Tom's and held it tightly in between the two of them. "Oh, Tommie, no. That's not what I'm trying to say at all." He shook his head. "We've known each other for so long. Too long, without taking it a step further." He inhaled a nervous breath, "I don't want to hang out just as buddies anymore. I don't want to tell everyone that you're just a friend of mine." He went on. "I don't want to come over to your house to "be a good friend" and keep you company."

"I do that because I care about you. I care about you so much, Tom. I want to be with you for more. I want to be with you forever. I want to be yours. I want us to be..more." He looked up at Tom's now wide black eyes. "I wasn't sure of it back then, but ever since the start of this year, I've found myself mourning over you. Yearning to be with you every second I could. I'm..I'm sure of it now." He gave a wide grin, "I like you, Tom. Don't you worry about that. I would never hate someone as great as you."

He poked his finger to his chest, causing him to giggle. "I love you, dork." Matt then pressed his lips tenderly to Tom's. Was he asleep again? It was too good to be real. He kissed back softly and reached a hand to his torso. It felt like forever until they parted. Tom looked down at Matt with tears. "I've been so scared to tell you Matt..." He smiled happily, the happiest he'd ever been in a long time, "I can't believe it's happening now. I never would've thought of you to say this. I've recited what to say to you so many times.. So many song lyrics I've made up, all just for you." Tom looked down, "I've been so afraid to come out to you because I was terrified you wouldn't feel the same. I thought you would hate me for it, or you would end up with someone else." He cupped his hand to Matt's face, only to make him giggle. "But look where that got me."

Matt hugged him tightly. Tom tensed. He soon relaxed and fell into his arms. He liked this. It would take a while to get used to, it would take a while to calm down; but it didn't matter right now. He was feeling emotion. An emotion he wasn't familiar with.

He didn't know that he was the happiest he'd ever be.