Chapter one

Note: Hermione is in her 5th year at Hogwarts and Ginny in her 4th year.

Hermione and Ginny were sitting in the common room chatting. "Harry doesn't really seem to notice me", Ginny wailed disappointedly. "In his eyes, I am nothing but Ron's little sister. He's never gonna like me the way I like him!" Hermione felt a queasy feeling in her stomach. She'd developed a crush on her best friend's sister and didn't know how to deal with it. She desperately wanted to be near Ginny every single second of the day but at the same time, she was profusely nervous and timid in her presence. "Perhaps you should simply date someone else", she replied after a while. Knowing they could never be together, she felt a little uneasy about giving her crush love advice. She always feared her behaviour could give away too much about the way she felt.
"Maybe I should try that...I mean, I don't really have to lose anything", Ginny murmured. "Hey, you could show a bit of gratitude, for a change", Hermione interjected in a what she hoped was a casual tone. "Sorry, 'mione. I genuinely appreciate your willingness to give me advice in terms of my love life", she giggled. "I mean, just because we're best friends, you don't always have to bear my non-sensical drivel." "It's fine", simpered Hermione, hoping Ginny wouldn't notice the hurt in her voice.