1. Late Start

"CASSIA!", Tony's scream echo's through the house.

My eyes snap open and I sit up straight on my mattress grabbing my alarm clock and cradling it in my hands as I stare down at the little red letters blinding me.

7:42 AM

"SHIT", I throw my thin excuse of a blanket on the floor and roll off my mattress, running over to the cardboard box, containing the few belongings I actually owned. 

I was meant to be up at 5:30 and be showered and ready for school with the whole house cleaned and breakfast cooked for Tony by 7:15, I wanted to be out of the house by 7:30 but my stupid, cheap alarm didn't go off. I guess I deserve that since I bought it at the 99c store. 

I dig through the cardboard box and throw on a navy t-shirt, a black sweater, light blue denim jeans and black ankle high converse that my old best friend Mel gave me before we moved last week, just as well because my old sneakers were literally on the brink of death.

My hands were shaking like crazy because I knew what my punishment would be for being late waking up.

I run down the stairs to be greeted with a slap to the face, hard but not hard enough to leave a bruise. Tony was smart like that no bruises on the face especially on the first day of a new school.

"Well, Good morning to you too", I mumbled.

"What was that Cassia?", Tony said way too calmly.

The sound of him slapping me again echoed through the house except he did it on the opposite cheek this time.

He gripped my arm tightly so tight I can actually feel it as it bruises, purple dispersing over my pale skin.

I stare up into his cold blue eyes that I inherited.

"Listen here Cassia, if you EVER pull a stunt like this again I swear to god I will send you to school so sore and bruised that pretty little face of yours will be unrecognizable"

I swallow the lump in my throat and nod without making eye contact. He throws me to the ground my spine hitting the corner of a wall as I make contact with the hardwood floor.

I claw at the ground and heave myself off the floor stumbling as I grab my bag on the coffee table and head out the door. 

I will myself not to cry, as I run down the porch steps and onto the footpath. I stare down at my flip phone and the little screen reads 8:15 am. 

School started at 8:00.

"What a great start to the day", I mumble to myself staring at the grey pavement.