Chapter 22

ROSE

"I can't believe that time goes by so quickly." Oksana said. We have breakfast. All of us are sitting at the table eating pancakes.

"I see the time pass on Rose's stomach." Yulian laughs.

"Jerk." I laugh back.

"Do you know how will you name the baby?" Mark asked.

"No idea yet." I say.

"If it's a boy, he should be Yulian." Yulian said confidently. "And if the baby is a girl... Yuliana would be the perfect name." the whole table laughs.

It's true. I wasn't thinking about the name yet. And I'm not going to bother about that now. I still have enough time for that. And to be honest... I'm too tired to think about it.

"How does it feel?" Oksana asks me when we're alone in the living room.

"It feels... It's hard to explain. I feels strange, but wonderful at the same time." I smile and rub my stomach.

"Can I?" she asks getting her hands closer to me.

"Sure." I allow her.

She smiles brushing my stomach. It makes me smile to. She once told me what a blessing a child is. She always wanted one. But it never happened to her.

“Whoa.” I just felt a kick. The first kick.

“What was that?” Oksana asked. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No.” I smiled. “He just probably wants to remind me that he’s inside there.”

Thank God the kick wasn’t too hard. I have read in one magazine that kick could be very painful. I didn’t even feel the pain, because I was too excited about this happening for the first time.

*

I’m lying on my bed and trying to read an English book that Oksana brought me, but I never liked reading. I was hoping that Dimitri could come so I could finally tell him the truth. But weeks have passed and no Dimitri on visit… And to be honest… I’m beginning to stop waiting… I should just carry on and the time will eventually come.

It’s february and my stomach is huge. It’s getting very hard to walk and breathe… That’s why I’m sitting most of the time. When I finally get myself to start reading the first page I feel another kick. It hurts but after the second I forget the pain and start feeling the warmth of us. Me and my child.

“Yeah, you are right,” I smile. “Reading is really not for me.”

I put the book away and just look out of the window. The snow is still here, but because of the sun most of it melted. Ice is melting, hanging down the roof in front of my window. Feeling the sun on my skin made me remember how much I missed it when I was used to be awake at night. To feel that warmth. It really brings some joy to your soul. Normal people that are used to daytime don’t feel it the way I do.

I’m starting to think that I could get used to live like this. When they find Robert and kill him I’ll be free again. My job as a guardian will probably be over when I’ll have to take care of my baby.  And if Dimitri will still act like a jerk, maybe I will just move somewhere safe and live like other dhampir women do. Not being a blood whore of course. Or maybe I can try to live a normal human life. It would be peaceful and safe for my child. I never wanted that kind of life though. I always wanted to be a guardian. Lissa’s guardian. And I still want that, but I can’t see how this is ever going to be possible now.

I hear a knock on the door. And the first thought I get is: Dimitri.

I run to the front door but Dimitri didn’t come. It was Victoria.

What in the world is she doing here? I thought she hated me to death. She still has that hated look though…

“I came to tell you some informations Dimitri got from the Court.” Victoria said when all of us sat down at the table. It’s obvious Dimitri sent her. He doesn’t want to come here. Great.

“Natasha Ozera escaped the prison.” Victoria said. WHAT?! I think I should be doing a ritual to thank someone. This is really the life anyone would want. I’m being sarcastic, by the way.

“But the best is still coming.” she said. “Looks like, Robert and Natasha are working together. Partners in crime.” she was getting all dramatic. “I really don’t want to be in your shoes.” she smiled and looked at me.

“Me neither.” I breathed out.

I guess Robert wasn’t enough. Now two people have to be killed for me to be free. Should I feel guilty? HA! No. One is a strigoi and the other… a jealous bitch that can’t get over her crush. And picking the younger one. She can have him now.

What the hell am I thinking about?! I’m such a weirdo.

“I don’t know. It’s a strigoi we’re talking about. I never got into strigoi’s mind. Never tried it before. And I’m sure it won’t be easy. If it’s even possible.” Oksana said when she found about the plan. If I think about who would be the strongest and the most possible to actually do it, Oksana would be the one. She is the strongest spirit user with most powerful and useful magic I know.

"I'll try." Oksana said. But then she'll be tired all the time... and I won't have anyone to talk to... "I'll try my best. And we'll see if it could be really possible..." she put her hand on mine. I can't tell how grateful I am for this. Risking their lives like this... I don't know how will I be able to thank them.

Victoria was going to leave but I couldn't let her go. I had to talk to her. I have to find out what made her come here.

"Why did you come here?" I asked right after she opened the door. It was just her and me in the hall.

"Well, that's a nice thank you." she smiled, showing her back to me.

"I am thankful. But I thought you..."

"I found out who Sofia's father is." she said turning the head toward me. Sonja told the truth..

"And that is the only reason I came here, believe me. What you did..."

"I didn't do any-"

"Has no excuse." she finished her sentence without letting me tell her the truth. She wanted to leave but I slammed the door.

"No. You are going to listen to me. I didn't cheat on him. I would never cheat on him.

"Then how did this happen!?" she yelled looking at my pregnant stomach.

"He was a strigoi. His genetics changed when Lissa brought him back. That made this happen!" I say. That made her think. She was looking at me for a while.

"Bullshit."

And she was gone.

Vampire Academy: Broken Trustजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें