Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Arthur Pendragon, leading a group of knights from Camelot and Vallonia, King Ulrik at his side, came upon the same fork in the road hours before Merlin and Odran took the path towards the Druid camp.  Prince Arthur, however, led the knights in the opposite direction and the trace let by the many horses was soon erased by the sliding mud and the pouring rain.  More than once, Arthur had to yell at the group to be careful and to stay on the track.

“Does it ever stop raining in this bloody country?” muttered King Ulrik at Arthur’s side.

The ruler of Vallonia was making every possible effort to keep up with the pace.  His horse was an unsteady beast that kept nodding its head in disobedience.  Twice it almost knocked the king off its saddle, and every time the physician Emmerich was there to catch his arm.

“Your horse knows the way on this slippery path.  Trust him, my Lord.”

“Emmerich, I was leading my army to war on horseback while you had your head in books.  I know how to beat a horse.”

With that comment, the king pulled out a whip.  Arthur watched from behind as Emmerich bowed his head low and allowed his king to pass in front of him.  Ulrik’s horse sped up unwillingly under the cracking of the whip.

“I don’t like horses being beaten as well,” said Arthur softly.

“My Lord,” said Emmerich solemnly, bowing his head lower, if possible.  

Arthur had been waiting for an opportunity to have a chat with the physician.  The track was making it difficult for the knights to advance in an organised fashion and so the Vallonian man could neither slow down nor speed up when the prince came at level with him.

“I hear that you are from Ealdor,” said Arthur, opening the conversation.  

He was determined to make every minute count.

“My Lord has heard correctly,” replied the physician.

He kept his face hidden under the green hood of his cloak therefore it was hard for Arthur to make out his expression.  Still, the impression of familiarity remained and it was making the prince more and more curious.

“I have been to that village not that long ago.”

“I left that place when I was still very young, Sire,” muttered Emmerich.  “I don’t remember much of it.”

“Is that so?” said the prince, trying not to sound too incredulous.  “Did you ever return at any moment in your life?”

The physician looked away.  He’s going to lie to me again, thought Arthur instantly.

“I returned to that village upon my mother’s death,” said the old man.  “I have not seen it ever since.”

Arthur looked briefly ahead.  Ulrik was still beating his horse on and on.  The path was becoming muddier and the rain was intensifying.  Arthur looked behind and saw many of his knights helping the Vallonians with their horses.

“Keep your eyes on the woods!” he yelled at them.  “Team up in pairs and help each other out with the horses.”

With he returned his attention to Emmerich, he saw that the physician was bent on his horse and speaking softly into the animal’s ear.  

“Speaking to animals can be seen as a sign of magic,” said the prince matter-of-factly.

This time the physician looked at him directly with piercing blue eyes.  Those eyes… thought Arthur.  So familiar.  Could it really be?  The more he looked at the Vallonian, the more the idea did not seem so farfetched.