Epilogue

Author’s note:

Many people asked about this.  Arthur thinks Emmerich was Merlin’s father.  So if you’re intrigued, you have to read this epilogue!

.........

Epilogue

Gaius was not a man of many words.  He found long conversations tedious and tiresome.  On the rare occasions when he was forced to make small talk, he always felt insignificant and awkward.  Merlin, on the other hand, did tend to babble about trivial matters but Gaius suspected that he was only doing it to annoy Prince Arthur.  The physician was on the whole thankful to be surrounded by men like Arthur and Uther who knew to speak only when something important had to be said.  And this trait was particularly why the old man was surprised and intrigued to find the prince sitting on a stool in front of the fireplace in his chambers.  He had expected to have to answer questions sooner or later, but he had not thought that the prince would initiate this conversation himself and so early after the funeral.

“My Lord,” said Gaius as he approached the young prince.

Arthur’s eyes were fixed on the fire.

“Where’s Merlin?”

“I sent him to the apothecary with a long list of things to buy.  I do not expect him to be back before dark.”

“And his injury?  He tried to hide it but I saw him wince this morning.”

“I will look at it,” said Gaius with mild concern, “however, I do not think that you need to worry.  Merlin is stronger than he looks.”

Arthur remained staring at the fire.  “It’s my fault, Gaius.  I didn’t get there soon enough.”

Gaius took position on a stool near the prince and he tried to get a look at his young face.

“I should have seen right through him when he told me that he was hurt,” Arthur continued.  “I was running for help, but in the wrong direction.  And then I saw…”

His voice trailed off.  

“What did you see, my Lord?”

Arthur glanced momentarily at Gaius.  “A ball of light.  Pure, beautiful, blue light.  It was floating in front of me, and I had seen it before, so I followed it.”

Gaius felt perplexed and intrigued.  The importance of what Arthur had just revealed to him couldn’t be ignored.  

“You have seen this light before, Sire,” he asked innocently.

Arthur had crossed his arms on his chest.

“When Merlin was poisoned by the Morteus flower and I was lost in that cave, a ball of light showed me the way out.”

“You believe it to be the same light?”

“It was the same light.  I’d recognize it anywhere.  I… I think it was Emmerich.”

Gaius was slightly taken aback.

“But you just said…”

“I know what you’re thinking,” cut in the prince.  “Emmerich was nowhere near Camelot when Merlin was poisoned.  How could he have helped then?  Unless it wasn’t me that he was trying to help…”

This time, instead of finishing his sentence, Arthur stood up and began to pace around the room, glancing at Gaius a few times as he seemed to wrestle with some thoughts.

“I know, Gaius,” he finally said.  “Emmerich.  I know who he is.  He’s Merlin’s father.”

Gaius tried to keep his countenance.  It wasn’t surprising that the prince had come with this conclusion.  But maybe there was an opportunity there…

“You don’t deny it,” said Arthur, his eyes fixed on the old man.  “Then it is true.”

Gaius took a deep breath.  He would have to choose his next words very carefully.

“I made certain promises even before I took him in, Sire.  I am not at liberty to deny or acknowledge anything.”

“Indeed,” replied Arthur, “but you cannot deny that Emmerich had magic.  What do you have to say about that?”

“Did you see him use his magic yourself, Sire?”

“I did.”

“And?”

“He wasn’t very powerful.  In fact, he seemed to struggle even with an easy spell.”

“And what does that tell you, my Lord?”

Arthur stopped his pacing to look into Gaius’s eyes.  He seemed to think for a while, and then the answer appeared in his stare before he even spoke.

“Magic so weak wouldn’t have passed on to his child, would it?  Emmerich probably wasn’t born with magic though he may have studied it.  Bryan had the Crystal Dagger to acquire power while Emmerich only had books of spells.  And he only used magic because it was absolutely necessary.”

Now it was Gaius’s turn to stare at the fire.  

“There was a time when studying magic for healing was as natural as studying herbs.  It’s possible that in his many years as physician Emmerich acquired a few spells.  We all did, back then…”

He couldn’t finish his sentence; this was a topic for another conversation.  

“I guess that doesn’t make him a sorcerer then.  Or at least not a wicked one.”

Gaius glanced into the prince’s young innocent eyes that were full of questions and doubts.  

“What does your heart tell you, my Lord?”

The old physician watched as the prince struggled with the idea.  Arthur had yet to realize the full extend of his father’s crimes, but tonight wasn’t the right time for awakenings.

“That Emmerich shouldn’t be condemned for using magic in a time of need; nor should his son.”

“Nor should his son,” Gaius repeated softly.

It was as though the prince and the physician had come to a silent understanding.  Still, Gaius saw another dark thought on the prince’s face.

“Merlin must never know this.  No one can know.  It would… ruin everything for him.”

Gaius nodded solemnly and then Arthur made for the door, but at the last moment, he paused, his eyes fixed on the door.

“One last thing, Gaius, about something King Ulrik said.  Was Merlin’s father a noble?”

This was an opportunity like no other.  Not even Merlin knew that final fact about his real father.  Gaius felt his mind filled with a confidence that he did not know he had.  His reply was short and incontrovertible.

“He was.”

THE END

Author’s notes:

I hope you enjoyed this story.  It was fun to write.

Reviews make me believe I actually write fanfiction for a reason besides my own personal entertainment.

I’ve seen a few noble-Merlin fics out there so this is an opening for one.

Thanks and

Merlin rules !!!