Chapter 16: You'll never win

Orson's POV

"Excellent news, Galen, the battle station is complete" I said as he walked to me, stopping a few feet away "you must be very proud"  I smiled, but I had something in mind, and it wasn't just Carrie for once.

I walked to Galen so we stood closer to each other "proud as I can be, Krennic" he smiled, one of his relatively new cold smiles, I hadn't seen them until a couple of years after Lyra died. For the first two years he had been avoiding me and when we saw each other he didn't say a word, it was rather annoying.

I nodded "gather your engineers, I have an announcement" I told him, he turned and walked to his workers, I did the same and went to my troopers "you know what to do" they nodded and I turned back to Galen, who was walking to me, followed by a few men "they're all of them?" I asked him.

"Yes" he answered as he walked to the troopers and stood between me and them, facing his men, I looked back at his workers.

"Gentlemen, one is you betrayed the Empire..." They all gasped and I saw Galen tense up "one of you has conspired with a pilot to send messages to the Rebellion..." More gasps were heard over the sound of the raindrops hitting the floor, "and I urge that traitor step forward" no one moved an inch, but Galen did tense up even more, I turned slightly to my troopers and they started walking towards us "very well, I'll consider it a group effort then" the troopers stopped and waited for my signal "ready, aim..." The men pleaded for me not to get them killed, but that was against who I really was "and fire!" I gave the order, but before the troopers could shoot, Galen rushed to the middle of the space between me and his men.

"Stop, Krennic! Stop!" He shouted, I frowned, he knew me well enough to know I wasn't going to stop just because he asked me to, but then... "It was me! It was me!" I freaking knew it! Rage and hatred took over me. I had never felt this way because of Galen, not even the first time he betrayed me, that time he just left me, but now... This was a million times worse, he was trying to ruin everything I cared about, "they have nothing to do with it, spare them" I signalled for him to come closer and he did.

I glared at him "fire!" The four deathtroopers started shooting Galen's men and they didn't stop until they were all dead.

When they stopped, Galen glared at me and I slapped him, he fell to the floor and I turned back to my troopers, they nodded and stepped back, I turned to Galen and kneeled down before him.

"How do I know the weapon is complete? Let me share with you some details" I said darkly, an officer walked to us and told me something I didn't quite understand, but it didn't matter to me anymore, Galen had betrayed me and he wasn't going to get away with it that easily, but he wasn't going to die either, I wasn't going to let that happen, Galen's glare deepened "Jedha. Saw Gerrera. His band of fanatics. Their Holy City. The last reminder of the Jedi. Gone"

"You'll never win" he threatened.

"Now where have I heard that before?" I asked sarcastically, remembering those were Lyra's last words before I got her killed, if looks could kill, I would've been dead now, Galen looked threatening, and that wasn't something I'd witnessed before, and it was slightly scary. Galen Walton Erso, the angel, was scary... How ironic.

I remembered how close we used to be, even when his daughter was around, it was nice to spend time with him every now and then, but the Clone Wars began and I used him to do something I knew he'd be against, so I just lied to him, making him believe it was for the greater good -which it was but he wouldn't believe it unless I made something up everytime he asked me why I was so interested in Kyber crystals all of a sudden, or why I made him do it so fast.

I opened my mouth to speak but an alarm inside the facility cut me and chaos began forming, the facility's stormtroopers rushed inside and my deathtroopers ran to my shuttle, I stood up, Galen stayed on the floor, as a bunch of X-Wings approached and started shooting down, a few of the officers that were with me fell dead, I sighed and looked up, letting the cold rain hit my face for a second, I knew I wasn't going to die, I still had to do so much before dying... And the main one was to make sure Carrie wasn't dead, but I also had to make sure my men and Galen didn't die, I turned to my deathtroopers "return fire! To your stations!" I looked at the facility officers "get our fighters in the air now!" I demanded, the troopers and officers did as told and I walked back to Galen, I made him stand up "don't you fucking die, I'm not done with you yet" I said lowly, he glared at me and stepped back, walking towards the facility.

I watched as everyone went to do their thing when I heard a familiar voice over the shooting and the rain "father!" The voice called, I turned... No. It couldn't be, my first reaction was to shoot, I took my blaster and aimed at her, she did the same, Galen watched, but before either of us could pull the trigger, a blinding white light and an explosion sent everyone on the platform a few feet away from their former position, making everything black.