Chapter 12

Kai

Kai

"Sanchez! You got a visitor!" The guard barked and my eyebrows came together. I already spoke to my mother and brothers, they told me they couldn't make it today and Rob is officially done with a nigga so I was wondering who the fuck could be tryna get at me.

I stood up and let him cuff me all the way out into the visiting area and scanned the faces of the free. I had to do a double take once I saw Kayla and how fuckin' beautiful she looked. Just glowing, my nigga. Her stomach grew from the last time I saw her and her thighs were fillin' out. Shit was giving me flashbacks from when she was pregnant with my seed.

The tears in her eyes that she was tryna fight came down the slope of her cheeks when she saw me. I ain't gon' lie, my vision was goin' blurry too, man. I made a mess of her, it's probably too late to apologize but I'ma shoot my shot anyway. The guard uncuffed me and I stood there waiting for Kay to approach me. She walked slowly and cautiously and melted in my arms when she was within distance. I kissed her forehead and wrapped her in a bear hug.

"I miss you, man." I mumbled into her hair and kissed her cheek, motioning for her to sit down across from me. "Wassup?" I asked, getting tired of her silence. Kayla ain't never quiet around me. I'm used to her loud mouth ass rambling on about how much I ain't worth shit.

"You got my letter?" she whispered, wiping her tears with her sleeves. A few nights ago, I got a letter from her telling me how much she needed a friend, and Lord knows that a nigga could relate, and how she couldn't carry her baby alone so we bonded over a phone call, just like old times. She even slipped me an ultrasound picture of her pending shorty.

"Yeah," I mumbled. Uncomfortable wasn't the word. Why she sending me pictures of this nigga's baby? Something ain't right. "Kay, what's poppin' out there? The baby okay?" she nodded.

"You okay?" I asked and this time she shook her head.

"Why not? Talk to me, Ma."

"I'm scared and I'm alone. No one is here to help me with him and I just-" she covered her face and sobbed quietly.

"Kayla, whatchu mean you alone? That nigga ain't helping you with nothing concering ya'll baby?"

"Kaiden, I fucked up."

"How, Kay Kay?"

"I wanted it but I didn't want it like this."

"You confusing the shit outta me, mama. Spit it out, man, please."

"The baby's not Jaylen's. He's yours."

Reality slapped fire outta me when I went gazing down memory lane; from Kaila's birth to how crazy in love I was with Kayla, to the second I couldn't feel my daughter's heart beat anymore, ending with me hating my high school sweetheart. I ain't want no rerun of this shit. It was scary and I vowed to never do it again.