Chapter 18

Jaylen

Jaylen

If this lady asked one more question about my mom, I was bound to snap. I didn't like talking about my mom to people, because it was too emotional for me. I don't like talking about my emotions period. It's bad enough that I'm already doing that shit now. She was trying to bring out a side in my that I was trying to keep locked away.

If I had drugs, I'd be fine. But dealing with all this shit while being sober was just too much. I couldn't handle it. She was trying to make me face the problems that I had been avoiding for years.

"Look, I ain't come here to talk about my mama all the fucking time." I spat as she looked up from her notepad.

"Mr. Waters, I'm just trying to he-"

"Help me what? Cry?!" I yelled, frightening her a bit. Just as I fucking predicted, not even a second later, there were now tears running down my fucking face. I was trying so hard to prevent this shit, dawg.

"I can't do this man.." more tears ran down my face as I started to gather my shit. She immediately rushed to my side, coaching me to take deep breaths like she did during every session.

Shit, she deserved a fucking raise dealing with my ass.

"Mr. Waters, I know it's a touchy topic. In the end, you will see why I'm asking." She assured me, rubbing my back as I wiped my tears with my shirt.

"Shit is fucking hard, man. That's why I took drugs the way I did, because every single time I closed my eyes, all I pictured was the hurt and pain on her face when she was out looking for me. I was so fucking selfish. Ain't care about shit but myself. I never got to tell her how sorry I was, that I loved her, nothing. And it's like no matter how hard I try to forget, I can't. I can't because whenever I'm around Robyn, she reminds me of her so fucking much. Especially all the times I made her cry.."

"Would that be why you feel as though you need Robyn? She reminds you of your mother so much that you don't want to disappoint her like you did with your mother?"

Hearing her say that stung. Shit literally gave me heart burn, but I knew it was true and that's what hurt the most.

"Y-Yea.." I struggled to get out after a few seconds.

"What was her name?"

"Jamie."

"What was she like?"

"She was everything and more. Swear I didn't deserve her. She always put other people's happiness before hers, because that's how caring she was. She was so fuckin' sweet, best mom anyone could ask for." My eyes started to water again. I began to just give up on fighting the tears away before letting them fall.

"How'd she die?"

"Car accident.. I was her only child and she was crazy over me. I wasn't answering my phone, so I guess she was speeding trying to find me." I looked down at my shoes. My chest was getting tighter and tighter.