Chapter 26- Another Gift

The day passed by quite quickly. I surprisingly enjoyed the activities Tom chose for us. I enjoyed them a  lot. We were so comfortable with each other that we could easily just walk, talk, tease, and joke. It was beautiful, really. And I was quite sad when the sky began to grow dark. I sigh lightly as Tom shuts the door to the apartment behind us.

"Thank you, Tom," I say, smiling. "That truly was an amazing day."

"What, you think your birthday is over? I still have a few more surprises."

"What else could you possibly have?' I ask, letting out a breath.

"Well go change into some comfortable clothes," he says. "I will, too."

Once we're in our pajamas, Tom insists on us going into the kitchen so we can prepare dinner. The dinner. My dinner. The dinner which I'm not entirely sure how to prepare. I'll end up looking like such an idiot...

I don't do anything at first. Tom knows me well enough to know which parts I'm capable of doing and which I'm not. "Can you cut up this chicken, darling? I have to make a phone call." He gently hands me the knife.

"Ah, how big?" I ask softly, looking down at the raw chicken in front of me.

Tom puts his hand over mine, standing behind me. I can't help but let out a breath and notice how wonderful he smells. Like tangerines and vanilla. But in a manly way.

"There," he breaths, his voice gentle. I then realize I haven't even been paying attention.

"Wait, do it again," I say, this time focusing on his hand over mine. He chuckles lightly and cuts another piece of the meat. Alright. Now I've got this. Tom lets go of my hand and returns to the living room, telling me he'll be right back. He takes his wonderful scent with him. I can hear a faint conversation from the living room. Well, what Tom's saying, anyways. I obviously can't hear the person he's talking to.

"...tonight. How much? ...will work. Thank you. And also...Yes. Thank you. Goodbye."

I frown lightly. I wasn't able to hear any of the good parts.

"Ah, thank you, love," he says as he returns.

'Who was that?" I ask.

"No one you need to be concerned about," he says gently, smirking.

I frown. What was that supposed to mean? Is it someone special to him? A woman, maybe? He said something about tonight. Does he have other plans? I mean, I wouldn't mind if he did. It'd be good for him. I can stay behind and watch Sherlock while he goes out with his friend.

"Rose? What's wrong?"

"Hm? Oh, nothing."

"You can't lie to me, darling. You looked upset." Tom starts to mix together the sauce. 

"I'm fine, Tom."

He sighs. "Well I'm not going to make you tell me. I just hope you're still up for another hour or so of birthday surprises."

"Yeah, sure," I lie. My phone suddenly vibrates. "I'll be right back." I quickly escape into the bathroom before shutting the door behind me and taking out my phone. A text from Kate.

Where are you?? Mrs. C says ur on vacation?? -K

I sigh, deciding to ignore it. I didn't want Kate giving me a lecture on not telling her when important things happen.

Today has been fun. But I have to remember not to get caught up in the moment. I can't fall for that man, nor can I let him convince me to stay. I give myself a small prep talk for several minutes before deeming myself ready to face him again, this time putting my feelings behind me. I open the door of the bathroom and return to the kitchen.