Day 24

Gaelle didn't directly ask her about the song but Shelley must have known where is was going. Was she too young to like music? Gaelle wasn't sure that she knew good music from bad music at that age. Still Shelley stayed shut and packed her dirt into the bucket like she had before. Her eyes were dark now though.

"Did you sleep okay?" Gaelle asked her. Shelley didn't answer. Her eyes didn't leave the pale, the ones Gaelle had gotten her.

After a bit of silence, she dumped the sand out of the box and softened the sand out. She looked up at Shelley just to hold out the pale and bucket Gaelle had given her. Gaelle looked at the girl, wondering if her face would waver at all. It didn't so she grabbed them and waited for some kind of words. Nothing came through.

"Who comes in the car at night?" She asked. Shelley looked up, slightly confused but her brows separate soon after.

"I don't want to be friends anymore." She said and stood up.

"Why not?" Gaelle asked. The girl shook her head. "Is it your father?" The girl's eyes narrowed.

"You don't know anything." The statement came out in her young voice but sounded more like something from a sitcom teen daughter.

"Then tell me," Gaelle said. She scanned the girl for bruises mind jumping to the worst possible idea.

"No." The girl said sternly and walked into the house. She pulled the door open and it shut behind her like it was automated.