Lost Days part 2

Day __________

Shelley was outside when Gaelle woke up. She was sitting on the sand and enjoying her time. Father was home, watching her. Something that Gaelle felt was familiar but couldn't really remember. Gaelle watched as Father sat and watched TV. Mother was cleaning the ditches, rigorously with her elbows moving quickly.

"Would you like to sit?" Gaelle nodded. She kept a space between them and looked around for the boys who were nowhere to be seen. The house was silent even though it was so early. Gaelle watched the TV and her eyes did not flicker until the episode ended. Just before he turned off the TV, she realized it had only been static.

Shelley came in later, looking clean like she had just gotten out of the shower. Watching her from grow from toddler to teenager was strange. It was such a quick move that for some seconds, there seemed to be multiple of her. When inside, the look of joy was gone from her face. Now she looked like the Shelley Gaelle had gotten to know. Like the Shelley who had almost no hope.

Day __________

Shelley opened the closet door without saying anything. Near the bottom was a pile of silver objects. When she put the next one down, Gaelle was able to see that it was actually a fork. She closed the door after closing the box where the utensils were.

Gaelle watched her for a bit as she shuffled her way back to the bed.

Day _________

Mother didn't talk the next morning. It must have been a work day again since Father wasn't there when Gaelle went downstairs. She wondered what he was doing. Probably just sitting at work engineering things or maybe watching them all on cameras. The static was on and the boys were in front of it. She thought about joining them and about how much easier it was to watch the static with father. Somehow it turned into something.

Mother kept cleaning in the corner with her back to the rest of us. At some point, she stopped moving. She stopped everything and just stood. Then she turned around. She handed Gaelle something and rushed to where Gaelle assumed her bedroom was. It was a key. Gaelle's breathing slowed down. Shelley was at the table, staring at the static as well.

"Shelley," Gaelle said. Shelley looked at her with a confused until she showed her the key her mother had given her. Shelley jumped up and they walked to the door, trying to unlock it but nothing worked. Gaelle walked over to the hallway where the office was. Mother was standing in front of the door. She didn't move.

"Mother, is this for that door?"

"No," She said.

Gaelle felt herself deflate. Shelley sighed. It wasn't the first time Gaelle wished she knew how to pick a lock. She kept the key near the forks but on a chain.

When Father did get home, he seemed okay. At dinner, he asked Gaelle all the expected questions like why she even came in. This time she told the truth, she was curious. He laughed.

"Noisy neighbors." He smiled. "Never want to come over for dinner but they want to look through the mail." He smiled making Gaelle wonder if he really knew or if he was just making a comparison.

"Can't believe you even talked to her. No one on the street cares about my sweet girl." Shelley continued eating like she didn't feel sick from hearing that. Gaelle wasn't sure she did. It was kinda sweet.

"I'm not sure why," Gaelle said, trying not to imply that everyone may have been smarter for it. The red flags came up but she just kept passing them wanting to know more and more. Well, she knew it all now. She knew Father never hit, he just yelled and berated and judged. She knew that even if the doors were open, the family might never escape him.