Day 32

In the morning, the windows were slightly open. Light was coming in, waking Gaelle up. She looked beside her and found Shelley asleep. For a minute, she couldn't completely understand where she was. Soon, her mind wrapped around the idea and her heart raced. She jutted up in the bed and jumped out of it. She searched for her clothes and ripped off the ones she had borrowed.

When she looked up from tying her shoes, Shelley was standing in front of her. She looked tired still but clearly alert. "He'll expect you back." She said.

"I'm not coming back. This is kidnapping." Gaelle said. She reached for her phone but couldn't find it on her. She glared at Shelley and pushed past her. What kind of person wouldn't warn her about this? She shouldn't have called the police or something. Her siblings were sitting in front of the tv downstairs. They were watching some show about reading and weird costumed characters. Her mother was in the kitchen, making something for the kids probably.

Gaelle reached for the door but it wouldn't budge still.

"Let me out." She screamed but the mother didn't turn around. Shelley was behind her when she turned from the door in frustration.

"What the fuck is going on?" Gaelle asked. The kids didn't turn to her or even move really.

"Shelley is grounded so no one can go outside." The mother said, still chopping up whatever lunch she was making.

"I'm not your kid." Gaelle spat. Her heart was racing.

"Father would like you to stay." The mother said just like she had the night before. Gaelle walked to the windows and wondered if breaking them would be worth it. Yeah, it would. The feeling that Father gave her when he was around was something she wouldn't want to feel again. She grabbed the tv remote and pounded it against the window with no avail. She tried opening the window and it didn't budge either.

She put in down on the table, where the kids were still sitting with the same show on. She rushed to the back of the house, looking for something. There were no windows to open. Nothing. One door didn't even open at all. She paced. They couldn't keep her here. It was not doable. There's no way. It was illegal.

"Gaelle," Shelley said. Gaelle stopped, looking at her. She was in the hallway, looking just as emotionless as her mother. "I'm sorry. He won't let you leave."

"Why? I'm not his kid."

"He doesn't care." Shelley looked back to the kids in front of the TV. Gaelle shook her head.

"I'm not staying."

"There's no way out. I'm sorry." Gaelle took a deep breath but didn't feel oxygen getting into her body so she took another but it was faster, too fast. Even breath became closer and closer in succession until she could barely see. Shelley helped her stand up and held her weight for a while. "I shouldn't have talked to you." She sighed. "I just remember how much fun we used to have." Shelley looked down. "I should have remembered how bad this place is for you."

"What?" Shelley bit her lip.

"You've come here before. Your parents picked you up the second they found out you were here."

"Why?"

"We're not exactly popular around here." She sighed.

"Why?"

"Sometimes, people rather not realize what's right next door."

Gaelle wanted to ask but a better question came up. "Are you a vampire or something?"

Shelley shook her head. "No, I'm just Shelley but older."

"Why were you younger outside?"

Shelley sighed. "I'm a something else. Does that help?"

Gaelle shook her head. "What really matters is how we'll get you out. "

"I can get out?" Gaelle's eye got wet, possibly from the panic attack she'd just had or possibly because for a second she thought she was doomed.

"We'll try." Shelley said. Gaelle wiped her eyes and got up. The mother had finished making eggs and bacon for the kids and they were all eating. Shelley and she were given bigger plates with a bit more food. They ate at the table while the kids ate in front of the tv.

"Mother," Shelley said. Her Mother looked so zoned out. She was eating and barely chewing before swallowing. Her whole face was in deadpan.

"Father wants to keep her." She said.

"I know. How long am I grounded?" Shelley asked.

"He didn't say." Shelley nodded her head. "Look at your brothers. They always behave." Her mother said without inflection. Gaelle still saw it cut Shelley though.

"Yeah, because they've seen worse," Shelley grunted.

"I've seen worse too. You're lucky girl." She said and kept eating.

Gaelle could get some of the pieces back now. She'd come over without telling her parents. Shelley had been really quiet that day. She walked with them back. Her parents picked her up just as she was entering the house. They were furious. Yelling at Shelley's father and also yelling at her mother who shrank away.

Gaelle finished her food, wondering exactly what else she had hidden in her mind. There must not have been a way to get out though. Maybe where the car was parked? Could he really keep her tracked here?

As time went on, the mother started cleaning. She wiped at the kitchen counter and started cooking dinner. The smell was bland, almost nonexistent as her food was finishing. The kids ran upstairs at some point. Shelley dragged Gaelle upstairs as well. In her room, Gaelle changed her outfit. Shelley jumped in the shower later. Coming out with her hair all wet. As she changed her outfit, she braided her wet hair. She blow dried it quickly.

When she heard the sound of a car, Gaelle's heart stopped. Shelley's father was here. No one spoke as he went up the stairs. The whole place seemed completely silent. A door opened and the steps started. It seemed like minutes of him just going upstairs.

Once it stopped, Gaelle felt like she could breathe again. Shelley put a hand on her shoulder in apology then lead them downstairs. Gaelle walked down the stairs, trying to focus solely on the back of Shelley's head to stop herself from losing breath. As she sat at the table, she looked at him but something was wrong. She couldn't quite get a look from him. His face seemed like multiple faces all stacked on top of each other resulting in darkness.

She looked away from him, focusing on the little boy across from her. He hadn't touched his food yet. None of the other boys did either. The mother set a water next to the father then she sat. The father smiled, looking at Gaelle.

"I'm glad you're still here." He said like she could have left. She tried to keep herself from twitching as he looked in her direction. She looked over to Shelley, wondering if she should respond. Shelley did a slight nod without looking in her direction.

"I...," Her voice quivered.

"Not much of a speaker." Her father said. The mother chuckled and the kids started to catch on. Gaelle couldn't manage to do it. Her voice felt quiet. As they ate, a few notes started playing. Gaelle looked around, finding a piano that was against the wall, to the far right of the TV. The keys were being pressed down with no one in sight. Gaelle grunted, letting the scream die in her mouth.

The music felt much worse now that she was inside the house. The song felt dark and cynical like some demon would come out of the corner. It didn't help that the house was barely lit with just a few lights around keeping them from stumbling blindly. He laughed a bit when he noticed her looking at it.

"No point of eating in silence." He joked. "Mother used to tell me stories about her friends all the time and just could not deal with silence." Shelley's mother shrunk a bit. It didn't last long though. Gaelle couldn't imagine Shelley's mother smiling or with friends. She was so fragile and pale just like the kids.

The food tasted okay but all she could think was whether she'd be able to eat her mother's food again. Wake up to the smell of eggs and bacon. They ate basically in silence while Gaelle tried not to look at the piano as it played itself. When Father was finally done eating, he stood up and walked to another room.

The kids watched him go and didn't move until he was gone. They slid out of their chairs, bringing their plates to the sink. When Mother stood up, Shelley brought Gaelle to her room.