Chapter 1

Present time...

Astrid's POV

I ran as fast as I could along the track. My black fur did nothing to keep me cool in the hot sun. The downfalls of a black jaguar. It was good for stealth at night but not for daytime running.

As the fastest, I was ahead of my sisters. Then was Constance's white tiger form, followed by Sora's Eurasian wolf and Aaliyah's arctic fox evenly matched at the end.

It was summer and the sun was relentless, beating down on us.

We were all about 91 cm at the shoulder, about three feet. Our animal forms were sleek and powerful. Constance's tiger was Cora, Aaliyah's fox was named Alaska and Sora's wolf was named Sage.

Finally, we were done running. We collapsed, panting, on the dirt. There was no grass within the prison walls, just dirt and dust.

"Shift," demanded Zale, the head of whatever this project or something was.

My sisters and I shifted, appearing in our human forms wearing the same old grey jumpsuit.

We got up and stood in a line. The guards lined up in front of us.

"Attack!" Zale called.

Sighing, we lunged at the guards. Sora elongated her canines and nails and began slashing at her opponent. Aaliyah was on defense, waiting until the guard tried himself out. I ran circles around my opponent, striking him where it would give him maximum discomfort. Constance was the best fighter and had somehow got the guard in a triangle choke hold.

We knew what would happen if we tried escaping. We'd be beaten even more and have all our drawing privileges taken away. We couldn't yell for help since the thorn necklaces were still in our necks.

When all the guards were on the ground, Zale commanded us to shift and fight in our animal forms. It was no secret to us that our captors were rogue werewolves. They'd shifted in front of us thousands of times and they'd educated us on their kind.

It was like we were in one of those werewolf stories Sora liked to read before we were kidnapped five years ago.

After a long while, we were done our training and led back to the prison cell where they kept us locked up.

We each took our clipboards, paper and pencils and resumed our drawings. At least the guards let us have something to do as a pastime even though they took all of our drawings.

Aaliyah specialized in dragons, Constance was amazing with drawing people, Sora enjoyed sketching wolves and I found happiness in creating scenes of nature, especially ones that reminded me of freedom.

There was the sound of an opening door and a small cry that drew our attention away from our sketches. My sister's and I looked to see two guards dragging a young boy into the room. They threw him into our cell and left.

We all put down our things and went over to the kid. He seemed no older than ten years old. He was wearing one of the grey jumpsuits but he had no thorn necklace.

The poor kid was sobbing as we sat in a semi circle around him. He stared at us before his face scrunched up again and he continued wailing.

Constance gently picked him up and set him on her lap. Sora signed 'you'll be OK' in the sign language we were taught. Of course, the boy didn't understand what she was saying.