Chapter 17

Astrid's POV

I climbed higher up the tree.

The sun was rising and I wanted to see it appear on the horizon.

I think I was the first to notice the shadows beginning to lift from the meadow, fleeing from the rising sunlight.

I guess when you lose a sense, your remaining senses can become stronger. My sight seemed to have become better, sharper, since I lost my hearing.

I sat on the highest branch that would hold my weight.

Looking across the meadow, I could see the others looking for me. They really hadn't seen me come over here? I thought at least one of them had noticed me walk away from the rest of the group.

I put my fingers in my mouth and let out a shrill whistle. Everyone turned to face the tree I was currently sitting in. I waved.

Sora came running over. She started up after me. Being a canine shifter, she wasn't as graceful or as fast as I had been climbing up the tree.

Constance and Aaliyah joined Sora and I in the tree. So did the guys.

As far as I could tell, Kaine had said 'Sup b*tches' when he sat on a branch beside Constance.

James sat beside Aaliyah, Zac sat beside Sora and Blake sat beside me.

As they all got comfy on a branch, I went back to watching the sun rise.

The glowing golden orb peeked out on the horizon, shedding the first morning rays on the forest.

I had to look away after a while before I went blind. Blind and deaf, how fun would that be?

Blake tapped my shoulder. I looked at him. His lips started moving once he knew with was paying attention.

'Come on, you have school today,' he said.

Over his shoulder, my sisters had expressions that made it look like they had groaned. They probably had.

Constance leaned backwards and let herself fall, doing a back flip before landing safely on the ground in a crouch. I tried doing the same and also landed successfully.

Looking at the others still in the tree, Aaliyah started clapping, her hands close to her right shoulder. Constance bowed in a playful bragging sort of way.

Sora looked like she was going to try to pull off the move.

"I wouldn't do that Sora," I said. "We're felines, you're a canine."

Her lips moved but I couldn't make out what she was saying since a few branch's and leaves were blocking my view of her.

Just use the mind-link, I can't understand you, I told her.

So? What's being a feline or canine gotta do with it? She asked. Oh wait, never mind.

Aaliyah looked like she was laughing. So did Constance.

Wow, Aaliyah said, giggling as she climbed down the tree.

She jumped down to the ground from the lowest branch. Sora followed her.

Once all of my sisters were out of the tree, the guys started swinging on the branches to get down to the ground. They'd swing on one branch, let go, do a flip, grab a lower branch and repeat the same process until they got to the ground.

While they were doing that, Constance had shifted and taken off running. Aaliyah and Sora followed.

I shifted and followed them, only walking and letting my sisters disappear ahead of me.

After a while, they guys' wolf forms caught up to me.

Zac, James and Kaine ran ahead, clearly looking for their mates.

Now it was just me and Blake.

I yawned, showing my sharp teeth.

Blake pressed his side against mine, sending sparks through my body.

When we got back to the house, Blake disappeared behind a tree to shift while I shifted and went inside.

I found the other three guys along with Constance and Aaliyah in the living room and Sora no where in sight.

"Where's Sora?" I asked as Blake came inside.

Constance pointed at the ceiling, telling that Sora was upstairs.

Of course she was.

We had some cereal for breakfast.

When it was time to go, Sora was still upstairs.

'Sora!' Constance called.

As far as I could tell, there had been no answer.

'Sora, get down here!' Constance shouted.

Aaliyah put a hand on her shoulder.

'Let me try,' she said. 'Sora Janette Thorn, get your flat *ss down here or I will come up there and kick it myself!'

Constance started laughing. I smirked. I think our mates were chuckling behind us.

A few moment later, Sora appeared at the bottom of the stairs, looking at Aaliyah warily.

We grabbed out bags and went outside to the guys' truck.

Constance sat in the passenger seat this time. Like yesterday, James was driving us.

Aaliyah was going to ride her motorcycle to Westwood. Her bag was in the car with us so she didn't have to carry it.

Kaine ran his hand through his hair before putting both of his hands in the pocket of his hoodie.

'Bye b*tches,' he said.

'Bye b*stards,' Constance shot back, smiling innocently.

Kaine's eyes faded to black slightly before returning to normal. I think he let out a growl in a playful way.

I felt the vibrations of the car being started.

'Be good,' Zac reminded us.

'Yes dad,' Sora replied.

'Call us if you need anything,' Blake said.

I nodded.

The car started moving as James drove away. I looked out the back window to see Aaliyah following us.

Since I was sitting behind the driver's seat by the window, I just watched the trees go by.

Constance suddenly started dying of laughter.

Raw toast, she said in the mind-link. Sora said raw toast instead of bread.

Aaliyah's laughter echoed in the mind-link. I chuckled.

Oh well sorry if I forgot it was called bread, Sora huffed.

How can you forget that? Aaliyah asked.

I don't know, Sora replied.

James pulled into the school parking lot.

My sister's and I got out of the truck as Aaliyah parked her motorcycle.

A couple heads turned to look at her and her bright red bike.

James looked possessive over his mate. I saw a few other guys I didn't know approaching Aaliyah.

They talked for a few seconds before Aaliyah said something like 'I'm lesbian.' James looked confused.

'Is she calling me a girl?' he asked.

'Maybe, I don't know,' Constance replied, shrugging.

James drove off, leaving us at this prison again.

The bell rang and we all went inside.

Let's see what this day brings us.