twenty

..

Pictures scattered the entire floor around Dray, who sat at the edge of the run against the couch, hugging her knees to her chest. Her eyes darted between each one as she listened to Wells rattle off name after name.

"Nash with Cliff, my cousin's fiancé, Nash with Sheriff Heron and the mayor, Nash with just the mayor, Nash with just the sheriff, the sheriff and the mayor, Lucy with Nash, the sheriff, and the mayor, my uncle and the sheriff—is that it?" Wells let out a loud sigh, running his hands over his face. His leg bounced, grazing Dray's back.

Dray clenched her jaw. "Yeah," she said softly, "I think that's it." She scanned the photos once more and landed on the person that could be her twin.

He followed her eyes and reached for her shoulder. He lightly rubbed it and kissed the top of her head.

"I was hoping she wasn't involved." She picked up the photo of Lucy and Nash and ran her thumb over Lucy's face. She wasn't smiling and instead held her classic mean girl expression. She'd mastered that one in junior high.

Dray huffed and dropped the photo. "So," she turned to Wells, "what are we supposed to do with all of this? Obviously we can't go to the police. There isn't even a real crime happening."

"It's proof for us." Wells scooted to the edge of the couch and leaned over her shoulder. "We'll build on it and then it'll be proof for others."

Dray rested back on his legs and looked up at him. "Sounds like a long road."

He smiled and tilted his head to the side. "You in it?"

"Yes," she said without a second thought. She turned and gave him a kiss, smiling into it.

A harsh bang interrupted their peaceful moment. The duo's heads snapped towards the sound and then to each other. After a few seconds of scrambling, they stood at the front door.

"Stay here, Dray." Wells put his hand up and opened the door, walking outside.

Dray's heart felt two seconds away from bursting out of her chest, but she jogged out after him, straight into the woods, and along a familiar path. Once Dray saw the odd tree from her first week in Hero, a sense of dread washed over her. Curiosity killed the cat and this time, she wasn't sure if satisfaction would bring it back.

Coming up behind Wells, she grabbed his arm. He tensed, but with a quick backwards glance and shake of the head, he pulled her close behind him. They lingered around the tree and looked for anything or anyone suspicious. Nothing was there. Nothing was out of place. All Dray noticed was a fading smell of cigarette smoke.

She placed her palm on the odd tree for balance as she looked over the drop off and into the river bank. "Oh boy," she muttered, following it up with a hushed undistinguishable sound landing somewhere between a groan and an elephant.