twenty three

..

The sun started its descent when they hopped on Wells' bike. It cast a warm glow across the sky and fizzled out into a sheer pink.

"Can we ever take my jeep?" Dray asked, watching Wells swing his long leg over the seat.

He grinned and held out her helmet. "I though you like holding on to me?"

She glared and yanked the helmet from his hand. "You wish." She settled in behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist. He was right, but she really liked her jeep.

On the drive to Lockton, Dray focused on the rumble of the engine. The fresh air with a slight chill relaxed her body and her mind strayed from the mess woven in to her life.

They arrived at the same park bench that Dray had first met Aunt Belle, which was the same park they always came to in Lockton. Dray was actually surprised the bad guys hadn't caught on yet.

Cliff sat on the bench, his chin resting on his clasped hands. The closer they got to him, the more weary details stuck out. His eyes drooped down matching the curve of his lips. Shadows pooled in the hollows of this thinning face, sticking out even in the dimming light.

He stood to greet them and held out his hand.

Wells hesitated.

"Hi, Cliff." Dray stepped in front of Wells, elbowing his side, and shook Cliff's hand. "I'm Dray." She smiled.

He returned his smile, his handshake firm. "It's nice to meet you, Dray." His voice cracked and he covered it with a cough.

Wells snapped out of his mood at the sound and reach his hand forward. "How have you been?"

Cliff's smile faltered. "It's been hard." He scratched the back of his neck after shaking hands with Wells. "It's still hard."

Dray moved back. Being so close, she saw the tears glinting in the man's eyes.

Cliff coughed into his arm again and turned to Dray. "How, uh, how are you adjusting to Hero, Dray?"

"It's good. I like it a lot." She smiled and glanced at Wells. "It is very nice."

"Great." Cliff lightly laughed. "I'm glad you're getting along fine. Lucy worries."

Her eyes snapped to him. She crossed her arms over her chest, squeezing her biceps. "Lucy?"

"Yeah," he fidgeted with his jacket, "she talks about you."

Dray stole a glance at Wells.

"She likes you, too." Cliff pointed at Wells and let his arm swing back to his side. "Her and Nash both." His chuckle filled the dead air. "Yeah, they seem to like you two together."

The duo still hadn't responded, but Dray smiled, while Wells' furrowed brow and open mouth did nothing to hide his surprise.

Cliff noticed and looked down to his shoes. "Well, I know we were meant to talk longer but," he looked over his shoulder, "I actually have to get going." His eyes followed his hand that pointed in a random direction. "Duty calls."