twenty five

..

A muffled, yet obnoxious groan cut through the room. Dray shoved her face into Wells arm.

"I find it hard to believe you didn't already know that." Nash's face lifted in a half smile.

Wells looked at the blonde head smushed between him and the couch and shook his head. "We did and do know that. She's being dramatic."

Nash raised his eyebrows and let out a short laugh. "I'm actually not sure if they have any hard evidence, but after that night we called them off of you, we got a group text."

Dray lifted her head slightly and narrowed her eyes. "Group text?"

"Someone leaked your names as the ones who stole Ivory's pictures." Nash ignored her.

Lucy perked up beside him. "We, of course, knew that." She winked.

"No one else should have, though." Nash's tone brought back the thick air. "That's the problem."

Wells shifted his position on the couch and Dray sank much further down than she wanted. She pushed herself up, hand falling in the crack of the cushions, and eventually sat up next to him. She brushed hair from her face with both hands.

"No one in Lockton or no one anywhere?" Wells reached for a drink. The glass glistened from condensation.

Nash pursed his lips. "Lockton, I suppose. There isn't anyone involved in Hero aside from the sheriff and mayor."

Dray looked down and picked at her fingernails. A sudden connection twisted her gut.

Wells noticed. "What are you thinking, Dray?"

She glanced at everyone. "Well, Mikki saw us that night. Her and Cassia were across the street when we got back with the pictures. She watched us."

Wells' face scrunched up. "You think they have something to do with this?"

"No, but who does Mikki want to spend all her time with?"

His expression angled down. "Porter."

The clink of glass on glass followed by a swoop in the air snapped their heads over to Nash and Lucy, the former now on his feet.

"Middleton?"

"Yeah, and his younger brother has been worried about him. He's been hard to get a hold off, I think." Dray's forehead creased. "Is he involved?" Her heart broke for Peter.

Wells entire body stiffened and his glare pierced Nash. Dray couldn't even tell if he was breathing properly.

"He wasn't," Nash moved behind the love seat and rested on his fists that pushed on the back, "but he's been tagging along recently. Way too enthusiastic and always smoking a cigarette."

Wells stood up and walked out of the room without a word. A stillness covered the room. Dray staring at the spot where he left. She frowned and her eyes tilted downward to match.