twenty seven

*RING RING .. RING RING*

I was rudely awoken by the sound of my phone ringing somewhere in the room. I forced my eyes open, groaning when I saw that it was still pitch black outside, the glow from the streets the only thing enabling me to find my phone on my bedside table.

"Hi mum," I croaked out, my throat still dry as a result of my deep sleep.

"Hi honey," she chirped on the other end, way too enthusiastic for me at such an early hour. "How's my baby going."

"Good," I responded rather generically. "You know it's 4am here right?"

"Really? Oh well what are you doing awake?"

"Answering your call," I replied bluntly. "What time is it for you?"

"9pm."

"I thought I told you not to call me after noon, Mum," I yawned rather loudly. "Did something happen?"

"No, sweetie, nothing's wrong," she now sounded a little guilty for waking me up. "And I'll keep that rule in mind for next time."

"Okay then," I replied. "So what's up with you guys?"

"Well I was actually just calling to check with you on your plans for Jake's wedding. Were you able to get time off from work?"

"Uh- yeah," I told her, although in reality I hadn't even thought about it.

"Great! So when can we be expecting you?"

"I'm still booking my flights," I replied. "But I'll let you know when I've done that."

"Okay, and- ah- one last thing;" she said, her voice becoming hesitant. "Your brother was wondering if you were going to be bringing anyone along with you to the wedding. Like a guy maybe?"

"He was wondering? Or you were wondering?" I laughed.

"Well I guess we all are," I could tell she was smiling on the other end. "I mean it's been months since you and Mason broke up, and I'm sure there are plenty of American guys battling it out for you heart."

If only she knew the half of it.

"Well," I considered my response carefully, "I'll most likely be bringing someone, but he just needs to confirm

"Oh what's his name, honey," she asked excitedly. "Is he cute? I bet his accent is dreamy."

"Calm down, mum," I chuckled nervously. "You'll meet him soon enough."

"Sorry I'm just so excited to see my baby girl again," she replied. "Anyway, I guess I'd better let you get back to sleep. Sorry again for waking you."

"No worries," I yawned involuntarily at the mention of sleep. "I'll talk to you later, Mum."

"Ok bye, honey."

Setting my phone down on the table, I turned back over to face the twinkling lights of Manhattan. In my mind, I knew that the natural choice for a date to the wedding was Nate; he was sweet, stable, and would be a perfectly suitable partner to introduce to my family and friends. But for some reason, I refused to rule out Tyler as an option just yet, holding on to the few strands of hope that I'd been given last night. I guess time would tell whether or not that had meant as much to him as it had to me.

There was no chance of falling back to sleep with those thoughts running wild through my head. I lay awake from until the sun began to rise at six, when my rather pointless alarm alerted me that it was time to get ready for the day ahead.

Once I'd eaten a tacky granola bar and gotten dressed in a rather generic office outfit, I grabbed my keycard and phone and headed for the door, kicking off my daily walk to the office. Twenty minutes later, I was walking through the glass doors, greeting Bella, and boarding the executive elevator.