twenty eight

"Is there anything else you need me to do before I head off?" I asked Tyler, hoping that the answer would be a resounding 'no'.

"It's five o'clock already?" He seemed surprised as he checked his Rolex for the time. "Gosh this afternoon's flown by."

"It has," I nodded along, although I certainly couldn't relate. I hadn't been able to focus on anything work related since arriving back from lunch.

Instead of helping me make my mind up on Tyler, spending time with Zoey had made the whole situation a hell of a lot more confusing. I'd hoped that she would tell me how mentally unstable he was, or that he'd never be able to settle down, but instead she'd talked about how good he'd be as a dad, and as a husband too it seemed. And although it was a sister's job to say that about her brother, I couldn't help but to see him in a bit of a different light now.

"You got any plans for tonight?" Tyler asked, bringing me back down to earth.

"If you call bingeing shows all night 'plans' then I guess I do," I smiled. "And you?"

"Not sure yet," he replied. "I'll probably stay here for a while and finish off some work stuff."

"Make sure you take a break at some point," I felt the need to remind him. "You've been sitting in that chair all day."

"I will," he chuckled. "Just for you."

"Whatever it takes," I smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow."

The journey home took a little longer than usual, as I stopped at a grocery store to pick up some sort of dessert for tonight. The idea of chilling on the couch with a tub of ice cream really appealed to me after the last couple of days that I'd had.

Opening up my apartment door, I set down my bags and placed the ice cream in the freezer. I then removed my stiletto heels, almost moaning as my feet felt freedom for the first time all day. There really was nothing quite like it.

Given the nature of my evening's plans, I decided to go the whole way; I started my shower running and stripped off the rest of my clothes, removing the bulk of my makeup as the water warmed up. Once I'd had a quick shower, I dried off and pulled my hair up in a loose bun to dry. I then removed the rest of my makeup, throwing on a pair of panties and Rolling Stones shirt - another one of my dad's hand-me-downs.

With that sorted, I grabbed a wine glass and poured myself a full one, heading over to the couch and curling up under a blanket. I then turned on the TV, picking up where I last left off on my Friends binge, somewhere in the middle of season eight.

One hour, three episodes, and a glass of wine later, I was starting to feel a little hungry. I grabbed out my phone and started scrolling through my options for delivery, but before I could choose between Chinese and Mexican, a knock came to my door, causing me to jump a little in surprise.

I placed my empty glass down on the kitchen table, heading over to check the peephole. The breath once again left my lungs as I saw who it was, adrenaline taking over as I opened up the door.

"Did someone order Chinese?" Tyler's cute grin was almost contagious as he held up the bag of take-out.

"Hmm," I playfully replied. "I think you might have the wrong address."

"Oh dammit," he chuckled. "I suck at this job."

"Oh well, we'd better not let some perfectly good food go to waste," I smiled, taking the bag from his hands. "You wanna come in?"

It was like a déjà vu; he'd been in the exact same position just last night, only now he was sober, and the whole thing appeared more intentional. I was also in the same position, only a much more willing host this time.