Birthday Cake (Daddy L X Mommy Reader)

"Daddy, what we should gift mommy on her birthday?" L's five-year-old daughter Lily asked him.

He tried to think about some gifts but he couldn't decide what should be perfect to gift his beloved wife. "I have no idea right now, darling. Do you have any suggestion about this?" L asked looking at the kid sitting on his lap.

The little girl tried to think hard what she should choose as a gift. After five minutes of brainstorm, a great idea popped up in her mind.

She jumped out of her father's lap and excitedly said, "Daddy, a big birthday cake!"

"Of course, without a cake, we can't celebrate the day. I'll tell Watari to bring that."

"No no daddy. I don't want that cake." She whined.

"Then what you want, muffin?" L asked curiously.

"I want to surprise mommy with a homemade cake. You and I will make a cake for her. That will be great, isn't it daddy?" The child asked hopefully.

L stared at his daughter while trying to process what she just suggested. Baking a cake for his wife with his daughter?!
He can be the most intelligent person in the world, but in the kitchen, he would gain the worst cook award in no time. And Lawliet was sure as hell that his success would out of question in this department.

"No. We aren't going do that." He flately replied.

"But why, daddy?"

"Because there is 99 percent chance of our miserable falieure. So I think we should drop the idea. I'll tell Watari to bring ca-" L sentence was cut off by the sound of sniffing. He looked at his daughter and found the kid was looking at him with teary eyes.

'Oh no! Don't make that face.' Lawliet pleaded in his mind. He couldn't stand to see his princess's sad look. He sighed in defeat and said, "Okay...okay we'll bake the cake."

"Yeyyy!" A bright smile immediately replaced the sad frown and Lily jumped up and down clapping happily.

However, eventually, the fateful day came when Lily and Lawliet had to make a birthday cake. Watari was L's last hope to stop his daughter, but his cute little devil just brushed off Watari's help like nothing. She even forbidden the old man to enter into the kitchen until they finished making the cake.

Now poor L wearing a pink apron running around the kitchen to gather ingredients to make the cake. Lily was sitting on a chair reading a recipe on a tab & instructing her father about the ingredients. After gathering almost all the ingredients they started to make the batter.

"Daddy, we don't have cocoa powder. What should we do?" Lily asked checking the ingredients.

L was busy to mixing the batter. He thought for a moment and said, "Don't worry. We'll add those chocolate bars instead of that cocoa. Those are dark chocolates so we need to add more sugar in batter....I guess." He put down the bowl and started to search for a glass bowl.

"Muffin, can you please add sugar in the batter. It is in the white container."

"Okay, daddy."

When he came back to the counter, he found a lot of white powder and dark colored liquid was on the batter. "What did you add into that?" Lawliet asked pointing at the batter.

"Sugar and vanilla. You said the chocolate is not much sweet so I add lots of sugar and lots of vanilla to smell good. But daddy, why you make two big bowls of batter? We could make four cakes from this."

"If we fail to make the cake for the first time then we can use the extra batter to make another cake." L said as he pours melted chocolate into the two bowls filled batter. After pouring the batter into mold L put that into the oven...

After two hours of fierce battle in the kitchen, they finally made a chocolate cake on which 'Happy Birthday' was written with chocolate frosting. Lily was jumping up and down happily to see the 'masterpiece' her papa and she made. On the other hand, L was sitting on a chair face planted on the table. He was completely exhausted after this two-hour long kitchen quest.

"You two made this cake for me?"(Y/N) asked in disbelief looking at the chocolate cake.
Lily and L nodded in response. (Y/N) just squealed in joy to hear that. She couldn't believe her husband & little daughter made the cake for her on her birthday.

"The cake is not that neat. So I was worried that you would like it or not." L nervously said rubbing the back of his neck.

"I don't care about the look. You two made this for me and that's more important to me." She said and kissed his cheeks.

"Now blow the candles and make a wish, mommy," Lily said pointing at the burning candle on the cake.

(Y/N) blew out the candles and cut the cake. Lily took a piece and feed her mother. As soon as the piece of cake touched her taste buds, she felt a strong urge to spit it instantly. That thing tasted bitter and salty, a strong smell of vanilla was into it too.

"Mommy, how it is?" Lily asked with hopeful eyes.

(Y/N) nodded slowly, "It's good."

"Mommy, take another bite." Lily insisted her mother to eat another piece of cake.

'If I eat another one I'm sure I'll faint here and never wake up.' (Y/N) sweatdropped.

"I-I'm not hungry now. I-I'll eat it later."

'I know it'll fail in the end.' L mentally facepalmed to see the pained look on his wife's face.

"Oh..okay. Then let me taste it." Lily said and took a piece of the cake. (Y/N) quickly snatched the piece from Lily's hand and smiled sweetly & said, "No. This cake is all mine. I won't share it with anyone."

L came near to (Y/N) and apologized in a low voice, "Sorry for that cake."

(Y/N) chuckled & replied, "It's okay. I'm lucky that I didn't have to taste a burned cake. I think salt & suger containers changed their place when your're cooking." She took the cake and went towards the kitchen.

"Where are you going?" Lawliet asked nervously.

"To the kitchen to make some edible food. By the way, where is Watari?"

"Grandpa is trying to fi-" L put a hand on Lily's mouth to shut her off & answered, "He's out to run some errands. Y-You don't need to make anything." L tried to stop (Y/N) to went to the kitchen.

"Of course I need to make some food." She looked at Lawliet and said. "And why you wa-" her sentence cut off to see the beautiful scene in front of her.

There in the kitchen, she witnessed the most dreadful scene of her life. The whole kitchen floor was covered with flour, egg shells and some brown liquid. The kitchen counter was also covered with flour and egg yolks and some unclean bowls, spoons, cups were scattered here & there.
The sink was full of some burned cake molds that were the proof of failed baking. The gas oven was totally burned & god knows how but the wall cabinet near to it was also burned. And there Watari was standing a fire extinguisher in his hand.

The cake in her hands falls on the dirty floor as (Y/N) stared at the whole mess with wide eyes. It took her few minutes to gain back her senses. "My....my...k-kitchen..my beautiful kitchen.." she mumbled, then "LAWLIET, LILY, COME. HERE. RIGHT. NOW!!" she roared.

"Daddy, where are we going?" Lily asked as his father picking her up & tiptoeing towards the main door.

"Ah...to somewhere safe...I guess.." L whispered in Lily's ear.

She frowned at his answer, "Why?"

"Because the third world war is about to start in our house. And we won't outlast against your mom's wrath. So let's run."