6

"You're not going out in the weather and this is the end of our conversation, caiña," my mom said sternly that snowy Saturday, calling me sweetheart in Spanish.

I sighed loudly. I was trying to get her to let me go to the cafe and take my daily picture of Finlay. (I didn't give her that detail.) "But, Mama!"

She shook her head and wagged a finger. "No buts!" I gritted my teeth once she turned around and walked to the kitchen.

This was going to break my tradition.

I stomped upstairs and flopped on my bed, feeling annoyed with Mama and pretty much life in general.

I dialed Ava's number on my phone and put it to my ear.

"Hey, girl!" she said right when she picked up.

"Hey," I replied with zero enthusiasm.

"Did you finally decide to forget about stalking that man and dial your good ol' bestie?"

I sighed. "No. My mama banned me from leaving the house, because of the snow storm."

She was silent for a second. "Oh." She paused. "You know, I really think this whole 'taking pictures of a stranger at a cafe every single day' method isn't going to help our friendship much."

She had a point. A good one. But I wasn't going to stop taking photos of Finlay Thomas.

"We can get together soon," I suggested.

She didn't even take a second to think. "I'd like that."

"Great!" We set a time to hang out before I hung up.

One thing about being a photographer, in my case I mean, I always had photo albums in my closet, empty and ready to use.

So I quickly printed off my photos of Finlay, then put them all in the album.

I smiled in satisfaction as I looked at the finished page. Only four photos, but it was something.

And I wasn't going to stop until this photo album was full.