10

On Wednesday, I glued in my most recent picture of Finlay in my photo album.

I took extra time smoothing down the edges, trying to make it look extra perfect. Then I wrote the date the photo was taken on next to the photo. I closed the Sharpie, and smiled at my handiwork.

"What are you doing, Camilla?" My mom asked, popping her head into my doorway. I snapped the album closed in a hurry with a loud smack.

"Why the sudden interest, Mama?" I asked her, trying to distract her from the fact that I was openly trying to hide something from her.

She glanced at the photo album I had my hand over protectively. "I don't know. Just wondering what my beautiful daughter is up to."

I shrugged, discreetly pushing the album behind me. She couldn't even see the cover, the title being 'Photos of Mystery Boy'. She'd be weirded out.

"Maria! Get down here!" It was my drunk father, home from his one night stand with another woman. I didn't even know why my mom stayed with him, honestly. 

She frowned but called, "Coming, Jorge." She turned to me. "I'll be back up here later." I looked at her sadly and nodded. I felt bad for my mama. She spent most nights worrying about my papa, wondering if he'd come home that night.

They were so in love when they got married, then they had me. It was all great, we were a normal happy family, until my papa started going out to bars and hooking up with other woman.

My mama should've dumped him long ago, but despite him not being in love with her, she still loved him. So she stayed, and I stayed with her because she was my mama, and I'd stay by her side until the end.

I slid the album out from behind me and looked at it for a second, running my hand over the soft pink cover. I looked at it one more second before I slid it under the bed where it belonged with all of my other albums.

Then I fell back onto my bed and pulled the covers around myself, cushioning myself in a place full of sorrow and worry.