23

"I got you a new camera."

My mama walked into the kitchen that Monday, and put a box in front of me where I was sitting and reading a book. I put down the book and grabbed the box.

I squealed. I jumped up and hugged her. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I jumped up and down and squeezed her tight, she hugged me right back.

I pulled away and grabbed the box. I opened it and looked at the beautiful new camera. It was shiny, gorgeous, and ready to use. And I was gonna use it.

I jumped up and said 'thank you' one more time to Mama before grabbing my empty bag and bounding out the door.

As I walked, I slipped my new camera into the bag. I smiled at the bag before running down the sidewalk to the small cafe on 31st Street.

I entered the cafe and ordered a water for a change, nothing else, and went over to my usual table with my all-new camera, ready to take a picture of Finlay.

But, he wasn't there. 

I looked around frantically. Finlay was indeed nowhere to be seen. I took a breath and sat down my camera. He couldn't not be there, could he?

I looked towards his normal table, just to look again, to be sure, but the table was empty. I slumped in my seat and played with the strap on my camera, super disappointed that Finlay wasn't there.

I looked around as I twiddled with the strap. Baristas were hurrying around, making coffee and hot chocolates. People were lined up, waiting for their warm drinks with their phones in their hands. Some people typed on their computers, and others talked with others. 

It was a lively cafe that day.

I gaze suddenly landed on a figure that I recognized. I stopped playing with the strap and stared at the person.

That person being Payton Larson.

He was by the window, his phone in his hand. His thumb swiped over his screen as he probably looked at Instagram.

Then, something inside me made a decision.

I lifted my camera and focused on Payton. His features shined in the light from the window. It was perfect.

I snapped a picture of him.

He wasn't Finlay, but as I stared at the picture of him, something switched slightly inside me. I looked back up at the real Payton, flesh and blood, right there.

Maybe I had been ignoring something amazing that was right in front of me the whole time.