16

Why?

It's an open question, one you could answer in any possible way. And that's what I wondered that Tuesday morning.

I was sat at my desk with a book propped on my lap. I had decided to start reading more often after seeing Finlay read every single day. I wanted to be like him.

Anyways, no changing the subject to another boy. I wasn't confused about Finlay, I was confused about Payton.

Why did he look so sad after I took that photo of Finlay? Why did he even care? It's not like we were friends. We hadn't even spoken before that one day at the park.

What I was trying to get straight was that this boy from my school, practically a stranger, was commenting on my stalking skills. 

So not okay.

So that's why I ask that question:

Why? 

I couldn't even think of a possible answer to that question.

I closed my book and sat it on my desk. I looked towards the window where the snow was falling slowly, covering our town in yet another layer of snow.

But I stopped when I spotted someone staring out the window next door. I stood up slowly and walked over to the window. I squinted, trying to get a better focus on the person staring straight into my bedroom.

I wiped the fog off my cold window. It helped a little. Then, that was when I saw who was staring into my bedroom.

Payton.

I raised a brow at him, questioning his staring. Who does that? Who just stares into their neighbor's window?

Also, I didn't even know he was my neighbor. I had never really bothered to see who lived next door, honestly.

He shifted on his feet. I crossed my arms. Iris barked loudly behind me. I ignore her, trying to stay focused on my staring contest with Payton.

He narrowed his eyes. I smirked in victory. I had already won. Then, he closed his eyes. I cheered loudly.

I pointed at him and yelled, "Sucker!" even though he couldn't even hear me. He shrugged, then disappeared from the window. I stopped my cheering.

And I thought, maybe Payton was more of a Mystery Boy then Finlay.