My Loss, My Gain

Why did this have to happen? And so close to my birthday, too. I sighed, internally crying over the loss of my parents. "This'll be my first time without them." I thought, wondering what it'll be like. I was 9, old enough to understand  the term 'death', which is a fact I had to bare. Looking out the car window, I let my thoughts wonder. I was being taken to an orphanage, as none of my close relatives could shelter another person in their house.
Clenching my locket and bag that held the few belongings I had, I hoped for this living nightmare to end. "Oh, lighten up, Y/N." The driver said. "I bet the orphanage will be nice."
"I beg to differ..." I mumbled so he couldn't hear.

We stopped at a large, two-story building with an orphanage sign on it. "Let's go, Y/N." The driver began to walk towards the entrance. You stood there not moving an inch. "Y/N?" I clenched my fists and dashed down the footpath not wanting to look back. "Y/N! GET BACK HERE!" The driver yelled. I turned a corner and run down the unknown streets for another good 10 minutes to make sure the man couldn't catch me, if he was following me at all.

I sat at a park bench and looked through my small backpack. I had a wallet, a phone and charger, a few outfits, headphones, a journal, a pencil case, and a small birthday present from my parents. Even if I didn't have any food in my bag, I luckily had picked up some cash before it all got taken out of the house. I looked around and found a small gas station. I grabbed a savoury pastry and my favorite kind of chocolate, which I was going to have on my birthday instead of cake.

------------TIME SKIP------------

I laid, gazing at the stars on the cold grass of the park. I checked the time on your phone. 11:59 PM. One more minute till my birthday. The moon was just about directly above my head, and it was beautiful. The alarm I set was going off on my phone. I dismissed it and grabbed my bag, setting my phone on top of the pile of stuff in there. I walked down the street towards the two places I'd always see on my birthday, a restaurant across from the local bar. I sat in the ally next to the bar. I laid my locket, the bar of chocolate I had bought and the present out in front of me in a line,  the present being in the middle of it. I turned my phones' torch on and place it behind the present to create some light in the dark of night, as I began to sing "Happy Birthday" to myself, to a slow, broken tune.

Edd's P.O.V:
I had dragged Tom to a bar to try and cheer him up. Although he didn't show it, I could tell he was upset or angry about something. "Come on Tom! Why won't you tell me what's wrong?"
"Because there isn't anything wrong!" A stared at him in disbelief.
"Tom. You know you can't lie to me." He rolled his "eyes" and started walking out. "Tom!"
"What?! I'm going home, and you're coming." I sighed. Why won't he just tell me? I followed him out and began to walk towards the car, until I stopped.
"What's wrong, Edd?"
"Hear that?"
"Hear....what?"
"Singing!" I walked towards an ally way, following the voice of what seemed to be a young child. I looked around the corner and saw them singing "Happy Birthday" to themself.
"How sad..." I thought. By now, Tom was behind me, looking down the ally too. I kneeled down near the child. "Uh, hi kid. Are you...lost." She looked over at me scared. Soon her expression changed to sadness.
"N-No...not exactly."
"See, Edd! Everything's fine. Can we leave?"
"What do you mean, 'not exactly'?"

Y/N's P.O.V
I hesitated for a moment to answer the man's question. "W-Well.....my parents.....died." I whispered the last word, knowing some people didn't like hearing that word and would flip if they did.
"...Oh. I'm sorry." He said, his brown eyes showing sympathy.
"Don't be. I lost my parents quite recently. I doubt you could understand what it's like to loose your parents as a child..."
"I do." The man behind him spoke up. I started at him in shock, then smirked to myself.
"Glad to be part of the crowd." I said, slightly sarcastic. The man smirked and looked away. There was a silence, before the first man spoke up.
"Would you like to stay with us?"
"Y-You'd do that?"
"Sure! We've got space."

"...You don't even know me...so...why are you being so nice to me?"

"I can't stand the thought of leaving you here alone." The man smiled warmly

"Thank you, mister.......?"

"Oh! Edd. Edd Gold."
"Well, thanks Edd. I'm Y/N L/N." I gathered the things I had laying out on the ground and began to walk with the two men towards their car.
"By the way. Y/N, this is Tom Charter. My friend and roommate." Edd said gesturing towards the other man.
"Well, greetings to you, Tom." I noticed he didn't really have any eyes, but that wasn't all that new to me. "Let me guess. You didn't have human parents, Tom?" He stared at me quite shocked.
"Uhh...no. No I did not." I smirked.
"Called it." I thought.

DISCONTINUED Flowers - Eddsworld/Child ReaderOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara