Opposites attract || Luke Hemmings

10. (Luke's POV.)

I woke up to Katherine whispering my name, a bit scared of waking me up. Even thought I'd slept on the couch, it was incredible how well I managed to be out. Probably because I forced myself to it after two hours of hearing her cry coming from my room, or just because I really wanted to stop thinking a little while.

She'd slept at my flat because she couldn't really face her mother so soon. We knew we'd have to tell our parents, but not that quickly and not when we still hadn't figured everything out. And just as she'd said, in the first chance our parents would have to talk to us, we'd end up let it slip, because it was really all we could think about.
Opening my eyes, I saw her standing in front of me, dressed with one of my band shirts and pants, and I tried to feel the urge to smile because of her bountifulness, but the purple around her eyes and her make up all over her face made me remember everything in one second. Way too fast than recommended. 
I gulped and sat on the couch, looking at her sadly. I was the guilty to all of this, and if she didn't hate me enough yet, I could fill the blank spot. Katherine was a mess and I knew that, if it wasn't for me, she'd still be completely happy with her friends and family. "Hey, um, sorry to wake you up, but I'm really hungry and I didn't feel comfortable getting into your kitchen by myself." 
I nodded, standing up and looking down at her with a sigh. She was too tiny to have to handle those kind of problems. With that thought in mind, I walked into the kitchen, starting to open the fridge. There was nothing there but a lot of beer and chocolate, and I groaned, turning to her shiny eyes. 
"Hey, we gotta get breakfast somewhere." I said, and she looked at me, nodding and going upstairs to change and clean her face. I sat on the couch, not even thinking about how I looked, and stared at the coffee table without thinking anything until she was in front of me again. 
"I'm ready." she said, and I nodded, getting up and grabbing the keys, thinking about how I'd have to sell the motorcycle to buy a car because of the baby. She followed me to where I'd parked the bike, gasping by seeing it wasn't a car. 
I chuckled a bit, shaking my head and gesturing I'd be careful. Katherine cringed her nose in that cute way and I reached my hand to hers so I'd help her hop into the bike. Once she was already sat behind me, I heard a grown while she felt obligated to put her hands around my torso. 
It took us a while to get there, because I was more than careful about her being there. I took her to a cafe me and my mom used to go a when I was around 14, and in the minute I helped Katherine get off the motorcycle, her eyes started to shine by seeing the place. I didn't see much of it, but it was a bit vintage, and mom used to like the appearance too. 
We sat on the first free table and a waitress came to hand us the menu.Katherine ordered a french toast with some juice, but I decided it'd be best if I didn't eat anything. With everything I had in my mind, it was most likely I'd expel any kind of food in no time. 
"So, um, about those tests," I said, slowly, "how do they-how to they work? Is there any chance that they're not?" 
Katherine took her eyes off the menu and looked at me, sad. "Well, I don't think so. They say they're right more than 90% of the times, and I got five positives."
I nodded, taking it all in. "Can't it just be some kind of hormonal shit you're having?" I asked, louder than I expected.
She looked at me, opening her mouth to say something, but she closed it again after some time and continued to stare at me without saying nothing.
"You're pregnant." I confirmed, finally saying it. It didn't seem real. "Okay." I said, slowly, "What should we do now?"
Katherine didn't say anything, now turning her eyes to the menu again and biting her lip to keep some tears from coming. I reached out of her hand, but in the same moment, she cringed and cut the contact.
"Should we go to a doctor or something? To have absolute certain and check how everything's going?", I asked, making her nod and look at me. "So, um, I think I can make the appointment if you feel too embarrassed to do it. Just-Just give me the number."
This time, I got a reaction from her. "No, seriously, it's fine. We don't have to think about it now."
"I want to."
" Luke ," she said, "please, can you just give me a few days? I need to let it sink in. I promise I feel fine. Waiting a week or two won't kill me."
She wasn't helping. I sighed, trying to think what else I should do. I didn't want to be one of those guys to screw things up and take off before handling with the consequences. I thought of every reason why we should be afraid before sitting straight and looking at her eyes.
"If our parents don't take all of this very well, I promise I'll start working. I've got a few thousands saved from the money my dad gives me every month. It's not enough, but it's a start." I said, "And if your mom kicks you out, you can always stay with me at the-"
Katherine put her hand over mine, squeezing it to get my attention. " Luke , seriously, we don't have to do this right now."
I nodded, still not convinced. "I know a store with cheap prices. I went there to buy some toys for my cousin, so we can try to-"
" Luke ." she said, this time louder and stronger, "Don't worry about it."
"How do you think I can not worry about it? There's a kid inside you!"
" Luke , please give me a few days. We don't have to do this right now."
"I want to do this right now!" I said, containing myself not to yell.
"Yeah, well, I don't!" she screamed back, dragging some eyes to both of us.
I breathed out heavily, trying to stay calm. How could she not worry about it? I was doing everything I was mean to do. I was owning up for my mistake, but she wasn't doing her part. The waitress came with her food before I could say anything else, and Katherine grabbed the toast without even looking at me. I laughed in disbelief, getting up and leaving the room to sit on the bench in front of the cafe, opening my pack of cigarettes.