Opposites attract || Luke Hemmings

19.

You opened your eyes, finally giving up the idea of sleeping more. You were so tired. You weren't used to that amount of physical effort, but, to be honest, there was nothing you regretted about last night. Sighing, you slowly searched for Luke 's shirt on the ground and put it on, a little uncomfortable about going around naked. Just as you were about to take his arm off you, he groaned, opening his eyes with a smile.

"Good morning, beautiful."
You smiled, cringing your nose and pecking his lips softly. Luke got up from the bed, gesturing you should stay in bed, and went downstairs to get some breakfast. Just ten minutes later he had a couple of sandwiches on his hands with the mango juice you'd asked for a few days ago.
"How are my two beautiful girls today?" He asked, sitting beside you on bed and turning on the TV.
You sighed, looking at my stomach. "I think she's sleeping. She still hasn't kicked me today."
Luke chuckled, changing the channel to a decent movie. "She has to wake up soon, I like when she wants attention from daddy," he said, kneeling on the bed with his face on the same level as your stomach, "Hey, Grace. Will you wake up for daddy? I miss you," he tried. There was no response. Luke sighed, looking up at you and then getting up. You frowned, watching as he got out of the bedroom and went into where the nursery would be.
Just a couple of minutes later, he came back with a black acoustic guitar you'd never seen before. "Since when do you have this?" You asked, confused. You hadn't seen this when we moved in for the new flat.
He shrugged, clicking his tongue. "My mom gave me this a couple of months before she died. I thought you knew I played."
You shook your head, surprised. "I know you can sing, but I didn't know you actually used to do it."
"Yeah. I thought about forming a band, but then my mom got sick. She was the only one I sang to," he mumbled, sitting on the bed again and looking right at you, "but I guess you and our baby are just as special as her."
You bit your lips, trying not to blush. It was still a bit new to you that Luke would actually love you. He was the guy everyone was scared of, but not with you. He was just Luke for you. And for your daughter. The guitar soon started the melody and you smiled, feeling the calm from the song. He'd sang lullabies to you before, but seeing his ability on guitar strangely gave you so much calm. His voice echoed in the room and you kept some tears from coming. He was so raw and vulnerable in front of you.
Then, he finished singing and looked at you with hopeful eyes. Not one sign from the baby. He sighed, nodding and getting up before putting the guitar down and reaching out for you hand. "Well, then. Let's let her sleep while I pain the nursery."
You nodded, remembering about the plans for today. Luke had bought the stuff for it a couple of weeks ago and you two had decided to do it all today since the crib and closet had came a few days before. Smiling, you entered the room and looked at the paint Luke had on his hands. If things went according to plan, it was going to be one of prettiest nurseries you'd ever seen.
You'd seen Luke 's ability drawing before. If there was something that boy couldn't do, you'd liked to be informed about it. He usually traced some lines with his pencil before he slept, but, really, it was mostly abstract. He was now going to create a tree going from one corner of the wall to another, filled with pink flowers and a couple of cherries while you painted the corners around the door with a baby brown that would over one of the walls of the nursery.Luke 'd thought it was a great idea to write Grace's name on the door and on top of the crib, and you hadn't actually protested about it because he wouldn't do anything horrible for his little baby's room.
Painting took the two of you a few hours. It was already four in the afternoon when you finally finished the paintings and went downstairs to grab something to eat. Then, Luke started setting up the furniture and put it on place once the walls were dry. Honestly, it was perfect.
You two were lying on bed lazily changing channels in search of something decent to watch. You had your head over Luke 's chest while he caressed your stomach and you smiled at how perfect everything was at that moment, even with everything that was happening.
"Is your appointment tomorrow?" Luke asked after a while, bored from trying to find a nice movie.
You nodded, tracing imaginary figures in his chest and trying to ignore the bruises on it. "Yeah, the doctor's gonna check if the due date is still the same and if everything's alright. Just a normal check-up."
Luke smiled, kissing the top of your head and making you lie beside him normally so you could look him in the eyes. "You look so beautiful today."
You blushed, hiding your face in the crook of his neck. "You're so cheesy."
"Yes, but you love me anyways."
You sighed, nodding, "Sadly, I do."
"Thank you," Luke chuckled, "Love you too, chubby."
You rolled your eyes at the stupid nickname he'd gave you. He knew how much you hated it. You stopped talking, your mind driving to a completely different line of thought. "Babe?" you called, and Luke looked at you a smile, "Do you think we're gonna make this all work? I mean, with college and being parents. I don't want her to grow up and be one of those lost teenagers who are only like that because of their parents."
Luke chuckled, "You mean someone like me?" he asked, "No. My daughter won't be like me. I don't see trouble in tattoos or anything, but she's going to be like you. Innocent and calm and happy. I'm gonna make sure she's always happy. I won't let anything hurt her, ever."
I smiled, pulling him for a kiss quickly. I could literally feel the tears in my eyes. I was so scared, but knowing he was going to be with me through it made me strangely calmer about it. It was like things could flow slower and not as intense.
"You know what I think?", I said, raising my eyebrows, "I think you're gonna be the best father ever." Luke smiled, pulling me to his chest again and kissing me. I restarted making figures on his chest slowly falling asleep as he sang my favourite song to me quietly.